08

I was shocked to say the least.

We all sat at Murray's dining table where he served us eggs and something else that had amazing flavor. He surely could cook, which I didn't underestimate him for a second, but that, was a curveball.

The silence while we ate was comfortable. Although it wasn't the mornings I was used to, sitting and conversing with my parents, it was okay. I should probably check in on them speaking of which.

Out the corner of my eye, I saw Murray eyeing between me and Jonathan. I took a bite of my eggs and drank some orange juice, ignoring it. Murray interrupted my thoughts when he finally spoke whatever was on his mind.

"So, Jonathan, how was the pull-out?"

Jonathan immediately choked on his juice and I let my fork fall which made a loud clank. Nancy paused mid bite, looking around at us.

"Uh, sorry?"

Murray looked at him, dead in the eyes. "The sofa."

Well that's some poor choice of words.

"Oh, yeah. Yeah, it was good." (i bet it was)

I couldn't help but snicker a little but also hide my face in the process.

"I bet." Murray smiled, continuing to eat his food which half fell off his fork. "Oops. Mmm."

— teeny skip —

"Hey, Mom." I spoke to her on Murray's phone, which thankfully he let us borrow. Jonathan and Nancy went before me to also check in with their parents who were probably more worried than mine. Joyce didn't pick up, though, which I could tell worried Jonathan a bit.

"Hey sweetheart. Where ya been?" Her tone was soft, like she'd woken up maybe an hour ago.

"Uh, just visiting an old friend. I'm leaving here in a bit so I'll be home by dinner." I used that excuse, since telling her I'm at a man's house wouldn't be the most settling thing to hear.

"Well, alright. We'll you soon. Dad and I love you."

"I love you guys, too. Bye Mom." I hung up and sat the phone back in its place on a table.

"Hey, Jon, sure you don't wanna try again before we head out?" I pointed behind me.

He slipped on his coat and shook his head, "No. No, it's fine. They're probably busy."

I nodded my head and smiled, giving him a peck on the cheek to calm his nerves. Not only did his expressions from earlier give it away, but I knew it always felt weird when your parents didn't answer your calls.

"Have a nickname for me now, huh?" He smiled.

"It fits." I shrugged. "Just came to mind and felt natural to say." I chuckled, feeling embarrassed for who knows what.

Jonathan interlaced our fingers and started walking to the door. We passed Murray and Nancy who were making conversation and talking about our drive ahead. They followed us outside, which looked pretty gloomy to my surprise.

"For your travels," Murray extended his arm to hand Nancy a bottle of vodka, "And to water it down." He spoke kinda like a proud parent as he handed it off to Jonathan.

"Got it." Nancy smiled and looked at the bottles. "Thank you for everything."

"Don't thank me yet. Just keep your eyes on the papers, hmm?" We all lightly nodded.

"And if you need to reach me again...

"Don't." Murray slammed the door and we heard the locks click in place.

"Noted." I said.

— skippy —

"What..." Jonathan muttered as he walked through his front door.

By now we'd made it back to Hawkins and were stopping by Jonathan's house. Which currently, inside, was scattered with papers that connected a bunch of lines into the middle of the living room floor.

"What is all of this?" Nancy questioned.

"Jeez. Were we gone that long?"

"I don't know." Jonathan answered. His breathing started to pick up in a panic. "Mom? Will?" he raised his voice as he walked down the hallway to check every room.

I followed him into Will's and looked in the direction of his sight. On the table was a drawing of some monster. Dark clouds surrounded it with red lightning striking in the back.

Not the time, but I knew Will was always an excellent artist.

How I knew we were in deep shit, though, was that the area looked familiar. Too familiar.

"What the hell is that? Don't tell me there's something even worse than last years problem." I shook my head and noticed the cartridge on the floor.

Jonathan was quick to pick it up and examine it. He looked at me, "I don't shoot polaroid. Y/n, I don't shoot polaroid."

"I-I know," I said, following him back into the kitchen area, "So someone's been here?"

"What?" Nancy looked up from where she was standing.

"I don't shoot polaroid." Jonathan says throwing it on the table, "It's not mine."

We stood there in eerie silence. Who knows what the photographers took pictures of in here, let alone if they did it with Joyce's consent or just broke in. And the information they could've grabbed was another thing. And if I'm correct on who did it, they definitely aren't as trust worthy as they like to say.

"The Lab." I spoke up.

Jonathan and Nancy looked at me in confusion.

"Think about it. The Lab has to document photos and keep track of things in folders. Polaroids are the perfect size for that and it's more organizable. I could be wrong... But if I'm right, we have to check there."

We took turns in glancing at each other, our minds racing on what and what not to do. We didn't have many options but I spoke what I thought just incase it could help any.

"Let's go." Jonathan says, grabbing the keys out of his pocket. Nancy and I were right behind him as we raced out of the house and into the car.

It wasn't a far drive but it gave me plenty of time to think what would happen in the next few days.

I remember the night of Steve's party so clearly. Being in the Upside Down not only once, but twice, definitely fucked me up for a bit. Fighting monsters would lead to more problems I had to deal with and I really didn't feel like going through it.

I could only hope I wouldn't have another encounter with it again.

i really do not feel ok what is happening rn