v.

"y/n?" i heard my mom question as i walked through the door. "you're here earlier than usual."

"yeah, it's me. and i just, uh, decided to walk."

"oh! well that's surprising. you're not going over to jonathan's?"

i walked into the living room and saw her sitting on the couch, filling out papers. there was an ad on the tv about some type of workouts. dad was already gone for work.

"nope! not today. he's...busy. his car isn't outside."

mom tilted her head, "aw, maybe he got caught up in something."

i don't know why, but that sentence made my eye twitch. "yeah. i'm sure it's nothing. he'll be back later."

"alright. i'm going to start on the cookies. take some to joyce for me in about...an hour or two?"

i just nodded. "perfect!"

"i'll be in my room for the meantime. love you." i said walking up the stairs. "love you too!"

once i reached my room my fake smile dropped as i closed the door. immediately, o plopped down on my bed trying to figure out the possibilities of why jonathan wasn't there. it wasn't a big deal of course, and i should probably just let it go, but i was curious.

oh well. i can always ask him later.

"nap time for now." i grumble, kicking my shoes off and sliding under the cover.

— skip —

ping

ping ping

"oh my gosh..."

i nearly tripped as i got out of bed, walking to the window. whoever interrupted my sleep better have a good excuse. i peered out of the window, realizing the sun was just now setting. outside, jonathan stood looking up at me. he motioned putting on a backpack and wave for me to come on.

i shook my head and walked away, going to my closet. i quickly changed into casual clothing like before, just adding a coat this time. i slipped on my shoes, then grabbed my bag, and walked downstairs.

"mom, dad, i'll see you tomorrow!" i yelled, passing the living room. assuming they were in there, i hoped they heard me.

as soon as i opened the door there was jonathan.

...and nancy.

"you couldn't knock like a normal perso—"

"we have to go." jonathan grabbed my hand, already making a beeline for the car.

"woah, woah," i gently pulled my hand back. "you've been gone for how long, and want me to come with you to wherever? no explanation?"

"i promise, i can and will explain but we have to go. now."

"okay.. why is she coming?" i murmured.

"it's not for any reason. it's important she comes." jonathan walks us to the passenger side, opening the door for me.

"oh i'm sure it's important to you." i sat down and put my hands in my lap. jonathan paused a moment, his face scrunching for a split second in confusion. out the corner of my eye, i saw him mumble "shit".

he closed the door afterwards and walked around, getting in the car. nancy had already situated herself in the backseat, looking at her feet.

"i'll go ahead and explain on the drive there." jonathan says starting the car.

"drive where exactly?"

"murray's." they say in unison.

"are you out of your mind? we're going to illinois?"

"we're gonna stop and get a hotel." nancy speaks softly, informing me the plan. "long story short, but we were at the park waiting for mrs. holland and were being spied on."

"we went to the lab after getting caught." jonathan interrupts, "there's a bunch of shit we don't know, y/n. it's all a lie and were not safe."

we all sat in silence as jonathan passed the green "leaving hawkins" sign. what were we supposed to do with this information? what am i supposed to do with this. is my family safe? obviously not.

"which is why we're going to murray's. he has information we could use or will help us in the long run." jonathan speaks up, startling me if im honest.

i let out a long sigh.

"i trust you both," i turn around to nancy. "whatever this messed up shit is, im ready."

"...but im definitely falling asleep in the next 10 minutes." both nancy and jonathan chuckle at my change in tone and shake their heads.

no lie, car rides always make me sleepy.

— skip —

i woke up from my, must i say heavenly, nap about 6 minutes ago. we stood outside of a building with a sign, "motors motel". wasn't fancy, wasn't shabby.

nancy and jonathan grabbed their bags, which made me realize i brought nothing. there was nothing inside the bag i grabbed.

"i brought some of your clothes from my house," jonathan kissed my cheek, "don't worry."

i smiled as we walked to the door, jonathan having to be first and open it. inside, a lady at the counter was watching her little tv. not paying attention whatsoever.

ding

"we'd like a... uh, a room."

"we got those. you want a single or a double?"

"double."

"double."

"single."

i laughed when nancy and jonathan gave me the craziest look ever.

"kidding! double it is." the lady stared at us while slurping the life out of her drink. she handed me the key with the room number attached to it.

i brushed past jonathan, "should i sleep with nancy? you looked awfully good today. i'm not sure i'd do much sleeping."

he grew red in the face, standing, looking down at his feet. we walked out to go find our room which hopefully wasn't very far.