24. SNOW IN A DESERT

In a world so ever-changing, uncertainty was a given. But there was one thing Jasmin knew for sure: having a crush on someone was absolutely infuriating, especially when that someone was Daryl Dixon.

One second, he was hot and the next he was cold. Some days he was talkative, others he was completely silent. In certain moments where the tension is so thick it is almost suffocating, he was incapable of keeping his hands to himself and then in a flash, he would want nothing to do with you.

It was an exhausting game Jasmin couldn't win. If only he would just tell her his true feelings; that was about as realistic as wishing for snow in the middle of a desert.

Before the outbreak, she was never much of a talker. Avoiding all social interaction was an art she had perfected, but that was only because all conversations in the house she grew up in ended up in tears. Being on the road alone also left her no chance for discussion, unless you counted the frequent cursing at walkers.

Life at the prison flipped a switch she hadn't even known existed. People were talking to her, not arguing or belittling her opinions, but actually engaging in genuine conversations. Sure, strangers looking in would've seen a quiet, reserved girl, but if anyone had asked Maggie or Hershel-people she trusted-then they'd know how hard it was to get her to shut up at times.

Being on the run with Daryl was not doing any good for her new-found love for chit-chat. She was desperate to talk - to ramble and empty the contents of her crowded mind into the open air. The only time he would ever want to talk was when she woke up choking to death on her memories. Those were the times she was perfectly content with staying silent.

But too much silence would remind her of her childhood - isolation.

Entire days would pass without a single word being uttered between them. Well, at least not aloud. Plenty had been communicated, but all through lingering stares and 'accidental' hand grazes; things that were left up to interpretation. In a mind that was in a constant over-thinking surplus, interpretation always left her uncertain.

"We've been walking all night and day; can't we just rest for ten minutes?" Jasmin asked, a whine evident in her tone. The back of Daryl's angel-winged vest stared at her as they trudged along a densely forested dirt trial, the bright mid-day sun sweltering overhead.

The previous night's events were still fresh in mind. Though a large gap now remained between them, the warmth and intensity of his grasp still lingered on her waist. Neither had verbally acknowledged the undeniably intimate moment in the car, but it was impossible to dismiss the embarrassment that followed.

Ever since Daryl kicked open that trunk lid, her feet hadn't stopped moving, except for when she had to relieve herself of course. Even then, he was visibly antsy about stopping. A final destination for their journey was yet to be determined; there was no reason for haste so the reason behind his adamance regarding the 'no rest' rule was obvious. In moments of silence, the tension was more likely to return.

Heaven forbid Daryl showed his feelings.

They had two unspoken rules; one was the 'no rest' rule, and the other was the 'no talking' rule. He was always best at that, especially after their recent incident. And he still hadn't answered her previous question. Instead, he continued walking, his steps following one after the other like a silent soldier.

Jasmin threw her hands in the air with frustration, shaking her head at the trees as if they were watching the scene unfold before them. Can you believe this guy? she silently asked the leaves who were waving at her in the soft breeze.

She let out a deep sigh through her nose. "We need to find a place to stop at some point, Daryl."

He moved a branch out of his path. "No."