Chapter Fourteen:

" 'I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement there could be'," Alex quoted, nudging me in the ribs.

"Oh, as if you've read Charles Dickens. You just filched that off Google.'"

"No, no, I'm quite partial to a browse through Great Expectations."

"Even so. If you love me against all those things, you most certainly didn't counter in my family."

"Well, your family is not the issue today," he reminded me.

"Was that to encourage me or try and remind me of the terror I face?"

We were trotting arm in arm down the street - his street - on the way to meet with his family. My insides writhed anxiously and I tugged at my skirt, trying to inch it inconspicuously past my calves.

"Quit fidgeting, will you."

"I can't help it, the pressure is going to kill me."

"Stop fussing, Layla! It's not like my family is going to take umbridge with you just because. There's nothing not to like about you - aside from the smell, that is."

"Speak for yourself. You're the guy here."

"Besides, you already know Jarrett, so there is one less person to be scared of."

I didn't reply, raising my eyebrows.

"Okay, I see your point. But my sister will adore you, okay? And . . . Look, my Dad can be funny sometimes, but he won't be with you, right? Now relax. Just be you."

He swung open the front gate to his house. It was a squat little grey building, a council house, pretty much exactly the same as mine. The front garden, however, was a mess, running riot with litter and overgrown weeds. He frowned at them as if he'd only just noticed them for the first time, grimacing at me unhappily. "My Dad," he muttered, almost apologetically. I said nothing, instead shaking my head vigorously to let him know that it was fine.

My legs trembled pathetically as we approached the front door, and I thought I should collapse when he rapped twice in a strange pattern that I guessed was his special code with his siblings, like I had with mine. There was no time to fulfill my wish to collapse, though, because Jarrett opened up quickly, a wide grin painted on his face.

"Hey," he nodded to Alex, who was already stepping inside, then to me,"What's up, Layla?"

"Not much, you?" my intention to sound casual resulted in the strangled tone I responded to him in, leaving him with a smile twitching at the corners of his lips.

"Scared?" He teased as he beckoned me inside.

I rolled my eyes at him. "Never."

Entering the house felt like I'd just stepped into a coffin while someone sealed the lid behind me. Fear left a loud buzzing noise in my ears. Just the presence of Jarrett standing in my peripheral sent my heart hammering with horrid memories.

"You alright?" Alex whispered, coming to stand beside me as I removed my shoes. I simply smiled.

I heard the sound of light footsteps approaching, and a girl of about my age came flying around the corner into the hallway where we stood.

''Wow, you must be Layla!" She beamed. "Nice to meet you."

I beamed back, relieved at the instant friendliness, replying, "Yes, and you must be Sophie?"

"Mhm!"

"Nice to meet you, too."

Alex's little sister was very pretty, with his same distinct features, just an effeminate version of them. His small nose was thinner and more delicate or their jointly thin, pointed faces, his thick eyebrows were plucked into a line above her similarly shaped eyes - but her's were milky brown.