★ 3 | Thrilling ★

Start from the beginning

Fucking alive.

"Haha!" I laugh, slightly slowing down to jog, the burst of energy makes me feel great. And then I start to think about it. I start to think about last night, that nightmare I had. As far as I know, I don't really have many nightmares. But last night, I had never felt anything so...dense. So out of touch with the Tucker I am today. Making all these questions revolve around my mind as if that night had been my fault.

Maybe if I could've reacted faster...Maybe if I could've...
But what more of me...was there to do.

Nothing would have changed the way things are now, and I have to live with that. The thought that I could've done something, but I didn't.

Thats way past my grasp and I have to understand that, I shake my head and slow down. I'm tired from running, so I take a second or two to collect my ground. Just near a block or two is my favorite coffee shop, so I'll go there.

Because something about having a cup of coffee brings my mind at ease.

It doesn't take me long until there it is, the building still standing strong in front of me after all these years. Gently I place my hand on the handle and close my eyes, the familiar chime of the bell brings a bright smile to my lips.

I missed this.
The smell of coffee beans.
The smell of sugar.

Carefully I walk inside and look around. The smell is so strong I have to take a long minute to adjust. But the longer I stand there, the longer it's soothing effects start to hug my body. A hug so kind it feels like I've dreaded it for so very long. The carefree touch of someone's arms wrapping around mine. Then it reminds me of all the times my mother used to walk hand in hand with me and my sister over to Mr Garrison's bread pantry early in the morning for some nice.

I know I definitely needed this, because no matter how many days I stay away from here. I always feel welcomed.

Finally I walk over to the cashier, I keep my order simple, the usual as always. A cup of brewed coffee and a side of sweetly baked cupcakes.

When I get my coffee, I give the kind lady a smile and head over to the same spot in the back, the same excluded spot I've always gone to. Where the view outside is gorgeous. Quiet, mine.

Gently I shrug my shoulders back against the leather and raise my chin. Softly painting a kind smile on my face. The tension from my shoulders is gone, every rubble of bitterness leaves my body with a sweet aftertaste.

As far as I know, the coffee shop has been striving before I was even born, crazy right? It makes you wonder how something so old...could look so lovely on the inside. Walls covered in gentle 70s decor, a few pops of color there and there. A cassette in display beside the cash register.

I guess we'll never know.

Not too long ago though, I heard something about the owner's kid being beaten to death by a demon in their own house. The news had been so tragic that nobody was able to bring a word about the occasion. I mean, I can imagine why, the whole fucking thing was horrible.

But again, that was just a few years ago, and there's only a couple of people in this town that remember like I do. Just tragic that someone so full of life could find themselves dead the very next day.