Chapter Eighteen

Tanhì and Jake ride on his tsaruk, her in front with his arms wrapped around her from behind. They were alerted by the horn again, only this time it wouldn't be for longing reunions.

The tulkun gather around the floating body of their sister, Ronal and Tonowari riding to her. Ronal's breath hitches when she makes out her sister.

She gets off her tsurak, swimming to the dead animal with tears in her eyes, reaching her, she looks around for her baby, breathing in harshly when she sees it's floating body tucked under the fin. Tanhì looks away from the sight, ears lowering as Jake leans into her, rubbing her stomach soothingly.

"She was my spirit sister, she was the composer of songs, we would sing together." Tanhì moves her mate's hand, swimming to comfort the grieving woman. She places a hand on her back, rubbing it over her shuddering skin.

"She waited many cycles to have this calf. The clan was so happy for her." Ronal's voice breaks turning to Tanhì, hands still splayed on her dead sister as she leans into her touch for support. Jake's ears lower, the calf's dead body taunting him.

"What is this Tonowari? What is this?!" Ronal cries, hugging her spirit sister's unmoving form, Tonowari inhales sharply, ears pinned back.

Jake rides closer to the women, ears twitching at a faint beeping. Riding under the sticking out fin, his heart drops seeing the blinking tracker, realization hitting him.

The clan gathers in front the leader's marui awaiting their instructions, fearing for their own family. Tanhì stood behind Jake, Tuk holding Kiri's hand, Neteyam with the tracker in his and Lo'ak emerging through the crowd with Tsireya.

"My sister and her baby have been murdered by the sky people." Tanhì looks down, memories replaying in her mind of her own home.

"This war has come to us, we knew about the hunting of our tulkun people but it was over the horizon, far away!" Tonowari hisses, throwing his hand to point away.

"Now it is here!" He sticks his tongue out, shoving his staff in the ground as Metkayina snarl, following him as they get heated over the death.

"You gotta understand how the sky people think. They don't care about the great balance." Jake tries to calm them knowing this is exactly what they wanted. Tanhì looks up at him, deja Vu hitting her at the scene of her mate warning them just as he once did to her.

"Listen to him!" Neteyam raises his hands when the Na'vi started chanting.

"Sky people are not gonna stop, this is only the beginning, you gotta tell your tulkun to leave, tell them to go far away!" Jake motions with his hand making Ronal turn to him angrily.

"Leave? You live amoung us and you learn nothing!" Ronal's words pull Tanhì out of her daze, looking up at the woman.

"We will fight to protect our brothers and sisters!" A man hits his chest with his spear, chanting making them get louder, not bothering to hear Jake's words.

"If you attack if you fight! They will destroy you, they will destroy everything that you love!" Jake turns, facing the gathered Na'vi hoping to make them understand. Tanhì steps in front of Jake, pleading with the leaders.

"I did not listen once, Ronal and lost everything. Do not make the same mistake." Ronal clutches her baby bump, looking around at her people. Their chants grow louder as Jake keeps talking, Neteyam trying to calm them.

"Listen to my father, he speaks the truth!" He goes ignored as Na'vi arm themselves with their spears, Ronal looking back to Tanhì's pleding eyes. Jake curses, reaching out to grab the tracker from Neteyam's palm.