Chapter Ten

"I see you, Tsahik." Tanhì greets the cayn blue woman who was sat patiently on the floor outside her marui. Ronal raises a hand to her brow, silently returning her greeting before pulling herself up from the floor.

"Your injury will need time to properly heal so it would be wise not to offset your shoulder." Ronal waves her inside using her hand, upon entering she's greeted with a few other women sat sorting through ingredients.

"I understand that you were to be tsahik of your clan so you know much of healing. You will observe me today and I will teach you about our techniques." Tanhì sits in the spot she was ushered into, Ronal turning quickly to inspect the other women's work.

Grabbing a wooden bowl, Ronal moves around the room, taking a few of each ingredient in other organized containers, throwing them into the bowl before grabbing three jars and settling next to Tanhì.

"This is 'ele'wll (thorny paw), it grows in the central part of Awa'atlu and is used to make a cooling paste for burns." Tanhì observes the blue cactus like leaf in Ronal's hands.

"This is like 'ä'o (pitcher plant)." Ronal nods her head, placing it down to lift another.

"We have some similar flora to the forest here however make no mistake, consuming too much ele'wll causes serious nausea." She shows Tanhì a slimy purple looking shoot.

"Apxangrr shoots (delta tree), it grows just outside the reef and contains properties to speed up healing. The salve I gave you is made of these two." Ronal picks up a wet green leaf.

"This is txampay rìk (ocean leaf/ seaweed), also outside the reef, fibres are extracted from the larger leaves to make wraps for the injured. It can be used as is temporarily but efficiency wise, it is better to use the extractions." Tanhì traces her fingers along the slimy but firm leaf as Ronal holds up a small green mossy berry.

"Vozampasukut (thousand berry), found in bunches growing in deeper waters outside the reef." Ronal places the bunch in Tanhì's hand.

"Instant pain relief, only temporary because it will knock Na'vi unconscious long enough to work with, also used in smaller portions for insomnia."

Tanhì hangs onto Ronal's every word as she points out the different things in the bowl. She moves onto the jar's before showing her how to make specific pastes. They stay in the marui for most of the day, conversing with the other women while they work.

"Tsahik." One of the women in the marui holds up a large empty bowl while the other searches for the missing ingredient. She stops, shaking her head and Ronal sighs.

"Come, let us collect some fkxakewll (itch moss/plant). It grows in shallow pools near the shore, you will not get your injury wet." Ronal rises, waiting for Tanhì as she takes the bowl from the woman's hand, reaching out for another smaller one.

They walk along the bouncy pathway to the coast line. Tanhì glancing around at all the young children chasing each other. She smiles, imagining Tuk in the mix.

Noticing the woman's stare, Ronal speaks.

"There are lessons for your youngest if you are interested. Children her age will help her sign and adapt." Tanhì turns to her apprehensively.

"Will they ridicule my daughter?" Ronal thinks for a moment as they walk along the sand.

"The children are afraid of yours. They will come around if she engages." Tanhì looks back at them with a frown.

"I will think about it, for now I would rather that she learn with her siblings." Respecting Tanhì's words, Ronal makes no further comment.