Chapter Twenty-one

Blood seeps into the water, colouring Neteyam's surroundings as he sinks, unable to keep himself up with the throbbing in this chest.

"Shit!" Lo'ak swims to him, keeping his head above the water.
"We gotta go!" Tsireya rides to them, Spider and Lo'ak helping him onto to ilu.

"Hold him up." Spider balances Neteyam in front of him, Tsireya holding onto his legs to steady him.

"I got him." Lo'ak connects his queue to the ilu's, wrapping one of Neteyam's arms around his shoulder.

"It's okay bro, I got you." Neteyam slumps forward against his back, the shocking in his chest blurring his vision. Tsireya holds on as they glide through the water, watching the blood seep down Neteyam's chest.

"They have Kiri and Tuk." Lo'ak keeps his eyes forward, holding onto Neteyam's twitching hand.

"We can go back later!" Spider keeps his grip on Neteyam's abdomen firm, feeling blood drip onto his own hand.

"It's alright bro, we're gonna fix this." Spider reassures Neteyam, the hurt boy only nodding once as he heaves, resting his head on Lo'ak's shoulder.

Jake is searching on his tsaruk for their kids, the Metkayina and his wife having already done the hard part of exterminating all the humans, not one escaping their hands. Tanhì circles the area, looking for any movement before bringing her hand to her throat.

"Nì'eveng, I think they are gone." Jake looks up seeing her fly over him.

"Good job, baby." He hears her sudden gasp.
"What's wron-"

"The children-" He turns to see Lo'ak riding on an ilu, Neteyam hanging off his back with Spider and Tsireya keeping him upright.

"Dad! Dad help us! It's Neteyam!" Tanhì's heart clenches at his words, Jake jumping off his tsurak to run on a large rock to them.

"Here, take him." Lo'ak, Spider and Tsireya help carry him onto the rock, Neteyam's eyes rolling back as he gets lightheaded, the waves covering his body for a second.

"Oh no, watch his head." Jake hauls him up, Neteyam coughing out nothing as he fights for air.

"Hurry please!" Lo'ak's voice cracks as he lifts Neteyam's legs, settling him onto the wet surface.

"Watch his head." Jake repeats, cradling Neteyam's head and Tanhì lands, a cry leaving her lips at the sight of blood on his chest.

"No no no no." She reaches forward to hold his face as Jake turns him to check his back. The bullet didn't go through. Neteyam clutches Tanhì's hand, breathing heavy while more blood gushes out of his wound.

"Pressure, keep pressure on it." Lo'ak listens to Jake, pressing his hands onto Neteyam's wound to stop the blood from leaking.

"Mom." Neteyam's voice is hoarse when Tanhì looks down at him, assessing his wound. She lifts Lo'ak's hands, quickly putting them back when her son cried out.

"It's okay Netty, you are going to be okay." Neteyam glances around his family, eyes not knowing where to focus, other hand gripping Jake's forearm. Jake's throat clogs up, rubbing his son's head, mentally assessing how he was going to get his son back to the village without him bleeding out.

"I don't wanna die yet." Tears flow down Tanhì's cheeks, dropping onto her son as she shakes her head in denial. Lo'ak crying watching blood seep through his fingers. Tsireya grips his knees and Spider holds onto his foot as they all shed tears.