Chapter 108

EZRA

While still waiting for Rachel to answer, I continue pacing back and forth like I'm a dog following around its owner to beg for a piece of food. I hate the fact that I'm still getting her voicemail because at this point, I can't leave a message no more from her voicemail being filled with my several messages.

I need a drink but the more I sit here on the couch and staring at the door and waiting for her to just walk in, I know with everything inside me that's not going to  happen. So, I continue staring at the bottle on the table, it's reminding me of Rachel who's turning into me when I drink my problems now she's doing the same thing and left drunk like she did. The second I pick up the bottle and put it against my mouth, something is telling me to throw it away before I begin to make a bigger mess than I already have. I don't listen to it and take a big gulp and swallow.

Minutes go by when hearing someone banging on the door, I roll my eyes of annoyance to whoever the fuck it is. I swallow the last drop of the whiskey, throw the bottle on the floor. I open the door, and I land on the floor once I do.

"Ouch! What the fuck?" I shout out in pain.

"You are a real piece of shit! You know that?".

Alex. I know it's Alex from his annoying voice. I think he tried to blind me from the lovely black eye I probably have from the force he put on the punch. I rather get kicked in the guts than a black eye. Less pain, yet this isn't the first one I had in my life.

I had my first one when I was fifteen from a fight after a middle school dance.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, got to the freezer to grab an ice pack for my eye, "Rachel is in the hospital because you fucked up again. When are you ever going to stop hurting here?" He yells out, punches me in the nose and I coughed up blood and my guilt.

"I don't mean to hurt— fuck man, this hurts," I complain, and run to the sink and grab the washcloth and put against my face, "She was in an accident. I don't even know why I told you because clearly you love hurting her then you actually love her," he yells out as grabbing his keys and walks towards the door.

"I do love her. I don't want to hurt her anymore," I answered but we both know that's not true because I'm a bomb who only kills the decent and innocent person like she was before meeting me. After meeting me, she only comes out with a little bit of dignity she has left.

Alex signs, turns around and looks at me, "Start acting like it because after she's been through, what you put through. She's still my best friend so as her best friend and since we will be step brothers. Start acting like you really do love her," he demands with a harsh tone.

"Yeah I get it okay? I know I'm a piece of shit. Now can you please drive me to the hospital. I would drive my car but she had my car when —," I pause for a minute, and Alex just nods, he probably knew she took it if she called him, "Let's go,". I grab my phone that's cracked on the left corner, and wallet.

...

An hour later, after getting out of Alex's car that still had the spray painted words 'congratulations' written on the back window from graduating high school. I wish I Had those kinds of parents who throw a party. I didn't have a party because my mother didn't have time to decorate but she did pick up a cake, my favorite flavor chocolate. She used some frosting to spell out congrats on it.

"Why are stopping here?" I ask to see we are here at the hospital where there's an ambulance behind us. I hate coming here, it gives me not very good memories about the night of the house fire, "I packed here so you go in there and find Rachel and I will park the car," he says as in sacrsumally say and rolls his eyes, "Oh... thanks I guess," I put back my jacket, grab my phone and wallet and get out the car.

I walked inside with a sight of panic rushing through my body from all the reminders that were coming through when my childhood house burned down. I look around the place, I don't know what to do or ask for help because it's not like I can ask to see if I can see here due not being family. But she is my family and my home.

"Excuse me miss? Do you know where Rachel Car—?" In the corner of my eye I see her across the room, sitting on a hospital bed with an ice pack on her face. I look at the nurse then look at Rachel and go towards her. I don't care if anybody tries to get in my way, I need to see her. She's here because of me.

"Rachel?".