Chapter 20: The cliffside

Start from the beginning

"Come," she smiled back, taking his hand and leading him through an explored path until they happened upon a large tree, decked in lanterns.

It emitted a light glow amid the darkness of the night.

The boy's eyes sparkled under the softness of the twinkling fire and Annabeth couldn't help but reach out to stroke his face, resting her palm on the side of his face.

His arm wrapped around her waist as she did so, pulling her towards him.

Her breath hitched as she gazed upon him, her heartbeat picking up steadily.

She had never felt this way before.

He had been her support, her closest friend and advisor

He had been her support, her closest friend and advisor. She had learnt so much in her time with him, grown as a woman, grown as the queen she was meant to be.

She could not imagine a life without him in it anymore.

She didn't remember who she was before he painted all her days in vivid, sparkling colours.

"Thank you for coming with me to Olympus," she whispered, caught in his magnetic trance, "you have no idea how grateful I am to have met you."

The boy's arms tightened around her waist as she smiled, wrapping her own arms around his neck, holding him close.

She could feel the blood gushing to her face, as she held him. Her body ached to be closer, to claim his lips as hers. To show him how much he meant to her.

He moved a step back, letting out a long exhale.

He looked hard towards the horizon, where the sea pulled against the rocks and sand.

Come with me, he gestured to her, taking her hand as they set off on yet another path.

The boy led her towards a cliff, which overlooked the vast ocean. The moon beamed on its waters as it ripped through the silent night.

"It's a beautiful sight," Annabeth marvelled, taking it in, "how ever did you find it?" she asked.

A maid told me about it, the boy gestured, sitting back against the grass, Annabeth next to him.

"Do...do you see that?" Annabeth asked, noting a whirlpool forming beneath the waves as she held the boy's hand, "I....do you think I am imagining it?" she asked.

There was something almost magical about that cesspool of water. It seemed....otherworldly.

She could swear that she saw the ocean rise for a moment. She blinked.

You should rest, the boy motioned almost urgently.

"Perhaps you're right..." Annabeth replied slowly.

She was probably tired from the long day.

She laid down against the lush grass, slightly uncomfortable at the friction she felt.

She was used to sleeping on comforters and soft mattresses as opposed to the cold, hard ground. However, the stars and the ocean waves offered her solace as she rested.

Annabeth rested her head against the boy's chest, listening to his racing, heartbeat. It reminded her of the turbulent sea

It mimicked her own.

She cursed her own impulsivity. Her desperate need to be close to the boy had landed them both in a scandalous position.

If anyone from her aunt's court saw her here she would be in the whirlwind of trouble.

"I'm sorry...I should move, you're probably uncomfortable," the princess chuckled, hoping he could not hear her racing heart or see her flushed cheeks.

She moved lifting herself off the ground by the palm of her hand.

The boy's arm snaked around her waist as she did so, pulling her back down against him, her palm now directly over his heart.

He  reached out and held her hand against his beating chest, offering her a smile as he kissed the top of her head.

They laid against each other, content in a deep silence, until lady sleep took the young couple into her lap, still nestled against each other's warm embrace, the only thing protecting them from the land and sea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yay! I posted!
Any suggestions for the story?

Oh! And my other Percabeth fanfiction 'Half of my Heart' is complete now, incase anyone wants to check that out.

(Posted 12:20am - 27/4/23)

Stay tuned!!
—S