Epilogue

Silence hung in the air between the three occupants of the room.

One, an agent from a sub-department of a sub-department of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service. The only ones who worked there were privy to the knowledge that magical creatures, such as the primals and standards, existed.

The other was a human who worked for General Archer Thorne. Actually, he worked adjacent to Thorne, in the intelligence sector as a go-between for official human governments and the loose bodies of powers for the magical.

Finally, the third was a young woman. Not quite thirty years old, short, and underweight. She told her story with unnecessary embellishments and wild gestures of her hands with limited hesitation, and when she got to the more intimate details of the story, there was a constant gleam of mischief in her eyes. Like she was daring them to shut her down.

They tried. She didn't listen, and only seemed to encourage her.

Both agents could agree that Jayden Stryker was being as accurate as she could. Her attitude was not exactly cooperative, and she clearly had a problem with authority, but she was not hostile towards the officials pressing for her account. They would have to compare her story with the versions retrieved from Warrick Abdel Khalek and Kade Guerra to truly determine her authenticity.

They could, however, agree that the collateral damage to the local area was completely accurate. The mountains south of Prince Rupert were once a beautiful and pristine example of the Rocky Mountains. It was going to take more than a convenient story of a gas leak to explain that one away. They might be able to get away with calling it a sulfur deposit that was previously unknown and reacted poorly to... something. That was for the public relations department to figure out.

The silence stretched on until the two agents glanced at each other. "Go on," the CSIS agent pressed, tapping her pen against the page expectantly.

"What?" Jay asked, raising an eyebrow. "There's nothing to go on with. That's it."

"That's it?" Thorne's agent repeated. "What do you mean that's it?"

"That's the whole story, beginning to end. Unless you want me to tell you what I've been up to in between these sessions. I know you love it when I tell you how often Kade and Warrick make me cum."

"Absolutely not!" The CSIS agent turned red. "But there has to be more. That can't be all."

"Like what?"

"Well... how did Kallista reproduce with Khaos? Why did she do it? Who did she want revenge against?"

"I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"What do you mean what do I mean? I don't know, okay? Christ, what do you think this is? This isn't a fairytale where every question gets answered and every story gets wrapped up in a neat little bow. The only people who know the whole story—my mom, Godric, the harem—are all dead. Khaos probably knows, but I guess I haven't made this clear; it can't—or won't—talk to me the way we are right now. When it communicates, it's through visions and emotions. If I had to take a wild guess, something happened to the children who presented as hunters, and mom went looking for revenge. I don't know against who, and I don't know why they did it, but Artemis didn't answer Kallista's call, so she must have turned to Khaos. Unless you can get something out Adam or another of my older brothers, then that's all I know."

The CSIS agent threw her pen down in frustration and took several deep breaths. She knew better than to get invested in a story. Maybe it was time to take a break. The pay was good, but working for the sub-sub-department wasn't worth the crap, and she never got full closure.

"Is there anything else you would like to add?" Asked Thorne's agent, just as annoyed but trying to keep it out of his voice.

"Nope," Jay answered cheerfully without even taking a second to think it over. "Does that mean we're done? Can I leave now?"

Neither agent answered right away. They were both thinking hard on how they could squeeze any further details out of the woman both for their reports and their own curiosity. But, when that failed, the CSIS agent just said; "Don't fly out of the country just yet, Miss Stryker. We'll let General Thorne know when you've been cleared."

"Sure," Jay stood and gave them another one of her mischievous smirks. "Don't hesitate to ask for more details on certain events. I know you love to hear all about them."

Out in the hall, the primal shifter Kade—truly a pillar of strength and pure masculinity—and Warrick—the lean and deceptively powerful descendant of Anubis—waited for her. "So?" Kade asked in his rough, hoarse voice. "Did you finally finish, or do we still have to come back tomorrow... again?"

"Hey, it's not my fault!" she insisted. "They were the ones who wanted every detail."

She jerked her thumb over her shoulder at the agents following her. The CSIS operative took one look at Warrick, turned an even deeper shade of red, and practically ran down the hall away from them. "Jay," Warrick said slowly. "Exactly how much detail did you give them?"

Sliding a hand around the back of his neck, Jay tugged him down to graze her lips against his as she said, "I left nothing out," and kissed him hard.

Warrick groaned into her kiss, from pleasure or frustration, neither of them knew, and Kade barked out a laugh as Thorne's agent did the same as the one from CSIS. "You're nothing but trouble, Blue Jay," he shook his head, hooked his arm around her shoulders and dragged her back against him. "I can think of a much better use for that mouth."

Even as she shuddered from pleasurable anticipation, Jayden closed her eyes and let herself melt into Kade's arms.

It was over.

Ahead of her was a life of endless opportunities with Kade and Warrick at her side.

She was free.

🧡

End

~🧡~