Chapter Twenty

Esraa and Violet are about as typical as any primal female can get. They're both physically and emotionally strong, entirely in control of themselves and their families, and marginally oblivious to the boundaries of those around them. They're not narcissists, like Lana, but they aren't typical people pleasers, either. They were the kind of people who would unintentionally walk all over you if you don't plant your feet and brace yourself.

They're also two people who you wouldn't necessarily see as being such good friends when you hear about them separately. Essra is graceful and proper with an air of royal authority. Violet is crass and blunt and almost aggressive in her affection. I thought that growing up in completely different social structures would mean they wouldn't have much in common. Then again, Kade and Warrick made it work, and Essra and Violet looked almost to be best friends with one another.

And, of course, they were both fiercely protective of their children. While I can say I was welcomed wholly and without judgement at the docks, I cannot say that I was naïve to the flicker of doubt in their eyes. It wasn't uncalled for, either.

Think about it for a second; there are only so many female primals to go around. We literally have the pick of the lot, if given the freedom to do so. We are in the position where we can make high demands and give little in return. When someone like Lana is given that leeway, males have to submit themselves to horribly abusive situations just for the mere chance of continuing their genetic line. It's a fear that keeps mothers like Esraa and Violet up at night. And if you lined up every available female primal that has fully presented, and asked them to pick one for their sons, I would be far from their first pick.

Objectively speaking, I'm not exactly a peach. I'm an extremely late bloomer. Similar to puberty in humans, most primals start presenting early in their teens, and are fully mature before they're twenty years old. In 'ye olden days', females were claimed the moment they were able to breed. Once age-of-consent laws came into effect for humans, primals realized that, like humans, just because we can breed doesn't mean we should, and followed suit in holding off until women were at least seventeen before allowing an official claim. A delayed presentation, especially in females, is one of many signs that she may be barren.

I'm not, by the way. Mom and dad made sure of that when I turned fifteen and still not showing any signs of presentation, and dad had me checked again after the accident. To them—and by them I mostly mean Godric—my worth was entirely based on my ability to breed. If I couldn't have kids, there was no point in keeping me around. There are too many things that I've been through in my life to really identify one solid reason why I didn't present until now.

Neither Esraa nor Violet knew that at the time, but they did know who my dad was and were well aware of his reputation. Which is another reason they were carefully suspicious of me. The last thing either of them wanted was any association with someone like Godric Stryker. I couldn't blame them. I was seriously considering dropping the Stryker name and start telling people I was an orphan.

Thankfully, they didn't ask about my family or bring up my healing wounds again. It did make me wonder how much they really knew about me and what I'd gone through. I think they wanted me to feel more comfortable around them before any of that started. Especially when they led me into the kitchen, made me a mimosa, and set me to work peeling vegetables.

It would have worked... if I wasn't plagued by the constant paranoid feeling that I'd been abandoned. Every few minutes I would look over my shoulder at the front door, waiting for Warrick and Kade to arrive.

Oh, yeah, how could I forget? When Esraa and Violet ushered me into the car and drove off, it turned out we left Warrick, Kade, and their dads behind, forcing them to walk back. Oops. I honestly thought there would be another car, but apparently not. I mean, it was only a fifteen-minute drive to the rental house, something they could easily walk, but I still felt bad. Actually, bad isn't really a good description. I was low-key panicking without them.