Chapter Twenty-Seven

"He looks like you," Kade said quietly.

"He looks like my mom," I corrected.

The man sitting at the table in the next room looked to be in his mid to late thirties but could have been a little younger or older, depending which way the magic went. It didn't take a genius to see that his claim of familial relation was valid. Like Kade said, he and I looked very similar. His hair and eyes were as dark as mine, instead of the blond and blue that was standard for angels. Though his hair was a bit curlier than mine or mom's, it hardly looked like he'd inherited anything from his sire.

It was that part that made it so much harder. Lana looked so much like Godric that it was easy to ignore the fact that we share the same mother. But with this person... this brother... I saw myself in him. Which was stupid because I didn't even know him. I had no idea if he hated me as much as Lana did, or if he would show me even an ounce of respect.

"I still can't believe you've only ever met two of your siblings. I would have thought at least your mom would have advocated for you to know them."

"I don't know. Lana and Adam are psychopaths, so, if the rest of them are like her, I don't think I want to have met them." For the first time, I tore my eyes away from the view through the one-way glass and looked up at Kade. His brows were drawn together, and his beautiful honey eyes shimmered with concern. "What's wrong?"

He shook his head for a second, but then stopped. With a heavy sigh, he turned his back to the window and folded his arms over his chest. "I'm just worried," he grunted. "Your family has caused you nothing but pain. I want you to be able to just walk away and forget about them, but they just keep popping up out of the woodwork like damned cockroaches."

"I want that too. God, I hate this just as much as you."

"So then why are you doing this? Why put yourself in a position where they can hurt you again?"

"Morbid curiosity, I guess," I shrugged and glanced back at my brother. "I mean... he called me his sister. Not the bastard or the mistake... his sister. His baby sister. I... I know it's stupid, but... Maybe he's not like the rest of them?"

He must have heard the pain and desperation in my voice the same way I saw the fear and worry in his eyes. Reaching out, he slid his hand around my waist and pulled me into his chest. "You turned out okay," he muttered into my hair. "I guess there's a chance that not all of them are assholes."

I tilted my head back and caught his mouth in a kiss. He responded with a growl and tightened his grip around me. "Will you come with me?" I murmured against his lips. "I don't want to say anything I'm not supposed to."

"Anything you want."

"And then after can we go back to stay with Warrick?"

"Almost anything you want. Warrick's right. You need a break."

"I don't want him to be alone."

"He'll rest a whole lot easier knowing you're sleeping in a real bed for the night. Don't you want that for him?"

I pulled back a bit to glare at him. "Low blow."

"A nice, comfy, warm, king-sized bed," he purred with a smirk. "Maybe a steak dinner, medium rare, mashed potatoes..."

My stomach growled, and he laughed. I tried to scowl but it kept trying to turn into a smile. So, I turned towards the door. "I'm going to go talk to my brother now."

"Chocolate cake for dessert," he called, following me out of the room. Before I could grab the handle, he caught my waist again and dragged me back against his chest. "Or I could just have you for dessert. I wonder how many licks before I get to your creamy center."