Chapter 19: Briefing The Oath

Goslingpaw watched as the two valley cats leapt atop a crate before calling out to the clan to come over.

Depthpaw cantered over to her and settled beside her, before murmuring, "What do you think this is going to be about?" "I don't know," she muttered back.

"Azurestar, I believe it's about time we brief you on the rules of the valley cats," Russet Rush meowed. "It should prevent your clan from doing stupid things that may get them killed."

A few of the BlazeClan cats bristled, but Azurestar paid them no mind and meowed, "Go ahead. It is very necessary at this time."

Russet Rush flicked a tufted ear. "In the valley, we have a saying," he began. "Respecting you is my decision, proving that you're worthy of it is your choice."

"Our code states that every cat, regardless of gender, rank and pelt colour, must be treated the way you yourself want to be treated, or better known as, with respect."

He glared at Swanpaw upon stating this, and the little white apprentice shrunk back in fear at his narrow blue gaze.

Most of the BlazeClan cats swallowed nervously as well when Azurestar then turned and fixed them with a threatening glare that could scorch trees till they were nothing but ashes.

Splash Sprint batted at his head lightly, scolding, "Don't frighten the apprentice, she'll learn the hard way if she keeps it up on her own."

He regained his composure before adding, "The breaking of this code is taken extremely severely, so please follow this rule."

"The second thing you should take note of is that you are allowed to have friendships and even relationships with those from another tribe. Just don't get too close."

"What if two cats from two different tribes have kits?" Questioned Lilynose. "Won't it be troublesome when that happens?"

"The kits are separated evenly, one half going to one parent's tribe. It really depends on the stronger elements that the kits have," explained Splash Sprint.

"Say for example there is a litter of four kits that are half Guild and half Cult blood. All four kits will bear the elements of both their parents but only one element will be stronger than the other."

"So, the kits that have more Cult characteristics and whose cult element is stronger than their guild element gets to stay with the parent in the Golden Rose Cult and vice versa."

The Shine nodded in understanding and sat back down, satisfied with the answer.

"Our code also states that healers must learn to fight," Russet Rush meowed, his gaze sharply turning to Goslingpaw and the other Nettles.

"There was an incident that happened long ago where the healers of a tribe, we're not sure which, were all slaughtered ruthlessly in an invasion along with their patients as they could not ward off the attackers."

Splash Sprint nodded. "As a result of that, it has become a mandatory practice for all healers to train in battle."

Goslingpaw felt excitement well up in her gut. She would finally get to learn how to fight!

Many may have thought she would've chosen to drop the oath of a healer once she was within the tribe's ranks, instead taking on a better role like a noble, valiant warrior or a fast and successful hunter.

However, the young Littlepaw had grown used to being a healer, and had even come to love being one. She could not bear to think about leaving her medical knowledge behind.

Suddenly, the Granite brothers' mother, Starlingspirit, hesitantly raised a paw. "Is.. is there any sort of position for being a permanent queen in the tribe?"

Splash Sprint blinked down at her, his eyes softening. "Yes, there is. But the queens do have to pull their weight around camp as much as possible."

Starlingspirit blinked and nodded. Stonepaw and Slatepaw gave their mother supportive glances along with their father, who smiled lovingly at his mate.

Only Rockpaw glanced away in embarrassment as the other Titanpaws sniggered quietly, with only Depthpaw shaking his head in disapproval at their attitude.

Thankfully Russet Rush had heard it, and he fired the group of Titanpaws a deadly snarl which shut them up rather fast.

"There is nothing wrong with choosing to be a permanent queen," he snarled. "It is honourable that there are cats willing to teach and nurture our future generations our oaths and ways of life."

The Titanpaws sheepishly looked down, shuffling their paws nervously at the russet cryptid's reprimand.

"And this brings me to the next rule which is watch what you say," Splash Sprint sighed. "The tribes are very strict on the code and disrespect is not tolerated in any way."

He flicked an ear. "There were cats who had their tongues burned out for saying borderline disrespectful things to a fellow tribemate or a tribemate in another tribe."

The pretty blue-grey tom flared his wings before he meowed, "The rest of the code is very self-explanatory. Give thanks to the Stars for prey, don't trespass on other tribes' grounds and challenge every intruder."

Russet Rush licked a paw before drawing it over his ear. "As for the apprentices, you will be assessed once regarded fit enough to train alongside the tribe apprentices, physically and mentally."

"What does being mentally ready have to do with anything?" Beechwhisker muttered, puzzled.

"Attitude is what matters more than physique," Splash Sprint answered. "We will not assess apprentices who do not have the desired attitude and behaviour of a proper tribe cat to-be."

"And that means you must be respectful to others and know what to say to others," he added with a menacing growl directed at all the apprentices save for Goslingpaw.

Goslingpaw giggled quietly as Slatepaw backed up slightly and Stonepaw's fur bushed up in actual terror. Softpaw pressed herself deeper into Chanterellestreal and Depthpaw gulped.

Russet Rush may have been ready to flaunt his terrifying appearance, but Splash Sprint's regality mixed with his trademark snarl which rarely came out made for an even more terrifying cryptid.

"Remember, respect is the one value that must be held at highest regard in the Northern Kingdoms." The Hydro stared down at BlazeClan with a chilling glare.

"Cats with no respect at all have no space in the Northern Kingdoms."