Chapter 6: Lift Your Wings

A week had passed; Goslingpaw's new coverts had grown in nicely, though that hadn't stopped her from complaining about how much it ached when they began to bud.

She has grown stronger over the last couple of days and she could now fly for quite some distance, which is another bit of praise she received from the two strong fliers of the Northern Kingdoms.

With a satisfied smile she remembered the look of absolute jealousy on Swanpaw's face when Russet Rush loudly praised her in front of the whole clan for her fast learning.

The white she-cat had looked like she wanted to explode with sheer jealousy but had surprisingly managed to keep it in, probably to not make a fool out of herself in front of the legendary warriors of the Stormfast Isles.

Presently, she was sitting with Aldertrail enjoying some bonding time together with her mentor when soft footsteps behind announced the arrival of Splash Sprint.

"Good light, ma'am Aldertrail," he meowed politely. "Oh, good.. light? Good light, yes, Splash Sprint. Do you need something?"

The blue-gray warrior smiled gently and responded, "I was wondering if I could possibly.. ah, borrow Goslingpaw for a while. I want to show her around Sunnyville."

"Why?" The brown she-cat questioned, puzzled. "It does her no good cooping her here like this, wouldn't you say? Let her stretch her wings and explore."

He tilted his head. "Now is also the best time to teach her navigation as well. She will need it even more in the Northern Kingdoms."

Aldertrail still looked doubtful, but she nodded her approval. "I'll explain to Azurestar when he returns from his hunting journey, my dear," she crooned softly to her foster daughter, and she smiled up at her foster mother gently.

The cream and brown she-cat carefully slunk out from under her foster mother's chin, and followed the Stormfast Isles warrior as he sauntered off to the area near the tracks of the iron monster that had brought them there days ago.

Around her, she could hear whispered of jealousy come from the apprentices and the envious stares she was receiving burning on her pelt, and a sense of satisfaction washed over her.

As she met up with Russet Rush though, there was great rustling and all of a sudden the Slate and Stone brothers barrelled out towards her.

"Gos! Gos! Can we come with you?" Stonepaw asked excitedly as he began bouncing up and down on his paws. Goslingpaw blinked in surprise. "Um.. as much as I want to say yes, exactly how are you going to come with us?" She asked.

"They can ride on our backs; an albatross ride, as we call them back in the Northern Kingdoms," chuckled Splash Sprint. "What! They could mess up my splendid fur," moaned Russet Rush.

Splash Sprint rolled his hazel-amber eyes and gave an exaggerated sigh. "My dear, giving a no-wing an albatross ride is certainly better than forcing them to run below and risk their lives on the train tracks."

Russet Rush sagged slightly. "Fine," he sulked. Bending down, he let Slatepaw climb onto his back while Stonepaw excitedly clambered onto Splash Sprint's back.

"Do your parents and mentors know you've gone?" Questioned Splash Sprint shortly after they launched themselves into the air.

"Nope! We want to hang out with Goslingpaw; we haven't gotten to bond with her since she began flying," replied Slatepaw.

"Very bold, the both of you," chuckled the blue-grey tom. "Exactly what we need as warriors in the Northern Kingdoms." Goslingpaw could almost see Stonepaw swell with pride while Slatepaw blinked in amazement.