Chapter 3: Cats Of Prey

It  felt like ages, but after a while the great metal beast stopped moving and halted. Peeking out of the truck, Goslingpaw marvelled at the flat stretch of land in front of her where trees and bushes grew abundantly.

She watched as Xiera leaped out of the truck while the tall RoadWalker alighted to get the BlazeClan cats out, and while she was still a slight bit more uncomfortable with RoadWalker contact she was grateful it at least made an effort to be gentle.

Finally as she was loaded off and put on the grass, she turned and stared up at the tall creature as it gently took the kits and placed them on the ground where Cottonsong was waiting.

The white-furred queen gently licked each one on the head, before blinking up and the RoadWalker and mewed a 'thank you' before scurrying off, herding her kittens with her.

She turned and trotted in the same direction as the queen as the beast took off, and stood kept pace by her side. Ripplekit brightened up instantly upon seeing her.

"Goslingpaw! Hi!" He squealed happily, and the cream and brown Littlepaw laughed in amusement at his excitement. "Can you help my brother become a healer when he grows up?" Mousekit suddenly asked with a small tilt of her head.

Goslingpaw felt her heart ache with a sense of longing at how Mousekit cared so much for her brothers, especially her oldest one. She had dreamed of having such a relationship with her sister but she knew that dream was definitely out of reach.

"I'll see what I can do, hopefully I can convince Azurestar," she mewed gently to them. Happy squeaks we're heard from the kits and Cottonsong chuckled lightly at their antics.

"Thank you, Goslingpaw, for helping me and these little bundles of joy grow these few moons," the white queen spoke, voice filled with emotion. "It's a pity their father is too blind to see how strong they've become now, particularly Mousekit."

"She's a trooper," laughed Goslingpaw. "Small but deadly," the white she-cat added in amusement as they watched Mousekit playfully tumble Hailkit over with a squeaky battle cry.

As they wove their way through the tall grasses, Cottonsong finally picked up Ripplekit and Icekit by their scruffs and Goslingpaw did the same with Mousekit and Hailkit so they wouldn't get lost.

They finally made it into a clearing surrounded by willow trees and between the roots of two of them was a burrow that Xiera had dug.

The cats of BlazeClan were scattered across the area near the den, some lying down on the soft grass while others were perched by the tree roots grooming each other.

Goslingpaw watched as Swanpaw strode towards the burrow proudly, hoping to enter it first, until Xiera reached out a paw and swiftly pushed her aside, knocking her over in the process.

"Hey!" She spluttered. "What was that for?!" "Mother cat and baby cat go into den first," Xiera grunted. "Baby cats need shelter more than you. You already grow up, why still need coddling like tiny, helpless and defenseless kitten?"

As the white apprentice spluttered in disbelief, Xiera gestured for Cottonsong to enter the den, and as the white queen hesitantly did, Goslingpaw followed her to drop off her kits.

The den was large and surprisingly roomy, with a decently flat ground of dirt and stone swathed with moss and ferns and broken feathers to make nests.

Carefully, Cottonsong treaded over to a large clump of ferns and moss, then settled down and placed her kittens at her belly before nosing each of them gently.

Goslingpaw treaded over and as carefully as she could she placed both Mousekit and Hailkit at their mother's belly and dipped her head respectfully to the white queen before she headed out of the den.

The massive black and white dog gazed down at her, and the cream and brown Littlepaw forced herself not to shake. "Now, you come with me. Is time for talk."

Azurestar blinked and stepped forward protectively, but Xiera interrupted him before he could even speak a single word. "You no need worry about her. I no hurt cats, mischacht?"

The silver tom stared distrustfully at the large canine, then down at his foster daughter with worry in his eyes. The smaller she-cat blinked and stretched her muzzle up to bump it with his.

"I'll be alright," she promised. Azurestar blinked down at her, and sighed before stepping aside. Glancing up at the dog, she watched as Xiera gestured for her to follow.

She trotted after the canine to a more private area surrounded by bushes, and the dog flopped down to a resting position while she sat down. "Now, you daughter of Rippling Leaf. You have siblings?"

"Y-yes, the white cat you stopped from going into the den earlier." "Hreggh! That cat no place as royalty in Northern Kingdoms," scoffed the black and white canine scornfully. "No cat follow her rule with bad attitude like that."

Goslingpaw blinked in surprise. She was used to others usually scorning in her face that her sister was better so hearing any other creature tell her otherwise was pretty refreshing.

The dog leaned down again and gazed gently at her. "Besides, that cat no trace of fighter, no trace of bravery or courage whatsoever. Disappointment. You..."

The dog gently nosed her. "Every cat that take one look at you can see your father in you. You know he was commander of biggest division in war of Fern Island?"

Her eyes lit up. "The war where the valley cats fought against those cats with dark manipulation powers they used for evil instead of good?" Her tail twitched with excitement. She had no idea her father had been a war commander.

"Machntrhia!" The dog laughed. "He awarded medal of bravery for flying headfirst into enemy troop and shattering their strongest forces. He have very powerful elements you know."

Xiera chuckled. "You healer, yes?" Goslingpaw shuffled her paws and nodded quietly. "I'm not pretty enough to be a Shine or a Starpaw, and I don't think I can ever be strong enough to become a warrior," she mumbled.

"Nonsense, child! Why want be useless toy for toms? You are fighter, stronger than most of your clan. You possess vast knowledge in one of the best places regarded of high position in the Northern Kingdoms. You are perfect," Xiera responded.

"Remember, small wren, beauty mean nothing in Northern Kingdoms. You can be most dazzling cat there is and no cat in Northern Kingdoms will bat an eye. And strength is different when you are strong in actions rather than physique."

She leaned down and touched her black nose to the small she-cat's head. "Now let us head back, small wren. Am sure valley cats would bring back prey now."

Gently easing herself to her paws, Goslingpaw treaded alongside the black and white canine as they made their way over to the den in the willow clearing.

Goslingpaw couldn't overcome the shock of seeing the massive amount of prey sitting in the center of the clearing where many cats were gathered, similar looks of shock plastered on their faces.

"All this done by two cats?" She asked incredulously. "Valley cats strong in hunting, love and war," laughed Xiera, watching as Splash Sprint and Russet Rush spiralled in with a massive hawk and a huge hare.

"Go on, eat now. Bellies must be full; in mountains the prey scrawny and can't feed well."