Chapter 2: Steam Power

Of every one of the most shocking things Goslingpaw had ever encountered in her entire life, this topped all of them.

The logical way to react by many would be to run or fight the approaching dog, but the whole of BlazeClan was in shock when the two toms instead went to approach the dog.

They watched on in horror as they saw the two toms stepping closer to the edge of the stone pavement where the dog stood. It had paused in its stride and was towering over the two smaller valley cats with an unreadable expression.

"What are you doing?! Get back, you two! Get back!" Shrieked Azurestar. "Have you gone insane?" Gustfang shouted.

"Shut up, the lot of you!" Russet Rush snapped. Then he went closer and tipped his head back and nosed his muzzle closer to the muzzle of the large black and white dog.

Goslingpaw had never felt more faint in her life. Suddenly, to her great astonishment, and to the shock of the BlazeClan cats, the dog began to speak.

"Ichi'a cofairh'rrr chcuiae siwodicha?" The massive canine rumbled in a sharp accent. "Ja, prahorr nagisha en rheahu," replied Russet Rush in fluent Shadish.

"Ahh. Nachthoa, amrahdi leferzundt," the dog chuckled lightly, then turned its sharp, steely gaze towards the cats of BlazeClan. Goslingpaw could smell the fear-scent of more than half the entire clan radiating behind her in waves.

"Effen gundamyrr frisen nachtepsen?" The dog grunted quizzically, turning back to look at the two valley cats. "Tchi' hoa sepdi nachsun," replied Splash Sprint this time, making gestures with his paw and tail.

"Are you following any of this?" Aldertrail whispered as she bent down to Goslingpaw's height. The Littlepaw shook her head and blinked up at her foster mother. "I'm afraid not," she mumbled back, feeling more awkward than ever.

"Nachsun! Bien nachsun! Ahh, prakk gwisjin yoka geolica," sighed the dog and it once again turned to the BlazeClan cats who were staring at them in confusion.

"You, small cat with wings. You daughter of warrior Rippling Leaf?" The dog finally asked in their language. "Rippling Leaf! You know my dad?" Gasped Goslingpaw. "Ja, ja. Your father from Search-and-Rescue guild, I meet him before on solo mission."

"Let me introduce her," Splash Sprint meowed. "This is Xiera. She's a kind soul and she knows our ways. Rest assured she won't hurt any of you."

"A dog is still a dog!" Protested Bearclaw, staring distrustfully at the massive black and white canine. But Xiera seemed less than bothered by the hostile response from the warrior, seeming more concerned about Cottonsong instead.

"You, white cat. No, not the puny white midget, the one with four small kit. How old are babies?" While Swanpaw had the funniest offended look at being called a midget, Cottonsong blinked and curled her tail over her kits protectively.

"T-two and a quarter moons," she mumbled. "Here not safe for baby cat. I take you to den, safe shelter there." Many of the cats still seemed sceptical, and Lichenfrost muttered, "How can we trust you?"

The white and black dog glanced around before saying, "No other place for big cat group to stay. Dockside cats rude and stuck-up, alleys filthy and dangerous, quarry no place for kitten. I take you to my den in park, safest option."

The massive canine paused and glanced at the tracks down in the dip of the platform. "Iron beast will be here soon. Empty truck can fit cat friend, but must stay in truck." She turned and blinked at Splash Sprint.

"You ride with no-wings or you fly with mate?" She  then questioned him. "We'll be flying, duh," laughed Russet Rush. "Nothing like wind blowing in my fur that shows off my splendor!"

Splash Sprint rolled his eyes humorously before he trotted over to Azurestar. "Azurestar, there will be a metal beast the Tall-Limbs call a train coming soon. The driver tends to circle around the park Xiera stays in, so we will go there."

"I-I'm not sure," Azurestar admitted. "Won't the RoadWalkers try to capture us?" "Quite the contrary. The Tall-Limbs here are kind and respectful towards wildlife and they know to keep their distance when necessary."

Suddenly, a great rumbling noise filled the air. Goslingpaw jolted up in alarm as the noise grew louder, and she saw Depthpaw cower in fright beside his father.

Then, her jaw dropped open as a colossal monster rolled to a stop at the structure. Behind, it hauled along a long tail of rectangular compartments; probably the trucks Xiera had mentioned.

The monster itself was painted bright yellow, and it had a cylindrical body attached to a flat platform with smaller structures holding it together. Behind the cylindrical structure was a box-like compartment where two humans stood, and it also towed along a larger rectangular structure behind it.

Giant wheels were what helped this colossal beast move, and atop its head sat something tall along with a dome shaped item and small golden trinkets near the box.

Immediately, one RoadWalker from the box leaned out and spotted Xiera, then smiled and hopped out to greet her. The dog's tail wagged happily as the RoadWalker approached her and used its hairless paws to brush at her head.

Goslingpaw would never understand what was so good about RoadWalker interaction, but she was relieved that Xiera was able to communicate with it enough. The RoadWalker paused and glanced at the BlazeClan cats, who warily stared back.

Suddenly, Splash Sprint leaped onto the RoadWalker's tall shoulders, earning a yelp of surprise. Confusion was visible on Goslingpaw's features as she watched the valley cat brush his head against the near-hairless creature's neck before purring.

Finally, after a minute, Xiera walked over. "Human willing to transport us. He will put you in truck. No struggle and no jump out of truck, monster will crush you flat before you can scream 'nachtrhi shi'kia', or 'Stars help me' in your case."

Then, she gestured for the cats to follow her towards the human. Hesitantly, they did, and Xiera leaped up into the first truck with a mighty bound.

Much to Goslingpaw's surprise, the RoadWalker was gentler than she expected. A soothing stream of gibberish babbles flowed from its mouth to try and calm the cats as it carefully picked one up at a time and put them into the truck.

It took a while, but finally Goslingpaw found herself being loaded into the truck with her foster parents, Cottonsong and her kits, Stonepaw, Softpaw and Slatepaw.

She watched as both red and blue valley cats lifted their wings straight up into a sharp V shape. Then they slashed downward in a power stroke and with a great whoosh of air, they were both aloft.

As the beast began to move with a guttural groan, she watched in awe as the two winged toms flapped their wings with nary a hint of a single sound and took off to the calm, cloud-filled sky.

Then, they were off. The monster set off at a suitable cruising speed and Goslingpaw felt her breath being taken away at the gorgeous scenery that rushed past.

Aside from impressive structures built by the RoadWalkers, there was so much greenery too. Trees with evergreen leaves rushed into sight, with thick moss covering their trunks and bushes shaping their roots.

Beside her, her foster father was watching over Stonepaw and Slatepaw, who were both chattering away in excitement while Softpaw and Aldertrail helped Cottonsong keep her excited kits in line.

Goslingpaw smiled as she felt the winds brush between her fur and the lovely feeling it gave her, and as she glanced up to the sky she could see the shapes of the two valley cats soaring above, red and blue feathers only faintly outlined by the sun.

"Will I be able to fly like that someday?" She wondered aloud. "With my feathers outlined by the sun, wind buffeting against my fur and the feeling of freedom so within reach?"

A faint purr was heard from Azurestar as he leaned over and rested his head on hers. "I believe you will, my dear." His blue eyes shine with love for his foster daughter.

"You will make a great queen someday."