Epilogue

Foxglove Heart carefully stepped out on a limb of the great tree and scanned the sky.

The night had grown thin, the darkness thread like a worn garment through which the first dim streaks of the morning would soon begin to glimmer.

He had sensed that the two toms would be arriving tonight after he had received the vision and was dream-visited by Tarragon. 

And something told him they would bring some guests along with them.

Although he had not been born a valley cat, instead being raised as a pampered human pet, he had grown to possess those extraordinary instincts the ferocious Northern warriors had.

And now as he treaded farther out onto the branch, he did sense something flying toward the kingdoms.

He blinked and lifted his head up. Something from far away was coming! Something was stirring the air.  The vibrations seemed to ripple across his tawny brown fur.

Then he heard the lookout cry from Lake Shadow, the only calico tom in the whole Northern Kingdoms of the Stormfast Isles.

"Strangers two points north of east! Great Goddess Aquila! It's Splash Sprint and Russet Rush flying point! They're back! They're back!"

A gasp escaped the fox-tailed tom's maw. "They're coming back. They're really back!" He whispered.  The ancient tribes of the valley began to shake with the sound of cheering warriors.

From every direction, cryptids all flew out—Pyros and Chronos, Psammos and BrightWings, Atmos and Prisms—to perch on the branches and stone outcrops and cheer the return of the two brave Northern warriors, the new arrivals and the daughter of one of the greatest warriors of the valley—Rippling Leaf.

And as the sun rose from the crashing tides of the ocean, great wings sliced through the air, and a sweet scent curled around his muzzle.

"Rippling Leaf," he breathed out softly. "Your daughter is home."

"I know," the voice whistled back. "I know."