38| Decapitated

As I scanned the faces nervously, my eyes met Sebastian's penetrating gaze. He leaned in slowly, his whisper breaking the tense silence, "You didn't forget your passage, did you?"

The warmth of my keychain reassured me, boosting my confidence. Clearing my throat, I spoke from the heart, "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I stand here on behalf of humanity to demonstrate that humans and vampires can coexist. My time with the Royal Highness Prince Sebastian has been nothing short of wonderful. Never once have I felt victimized or out of place due to my human nature. I believe that through discussions and further research, we can unite our communities and countries, fostering harmony. Thank you."

A hushed murmur spread through the audience as they nodded in agreement with my words.

The man who had been quietly observing, refusing to engage in conversation with those around him, finally stood. The room fell silent as he gestured for me to take a seat.

"Thank you, Ms. Ratzinger," he began, his voice carrying a commanding presence. "If humans and vampires are to coexist, how do you propose vampires eat when human blood, as of right now, is the only source of our sustenance?"

I took a moment to gather my thoughts.

"If I may, sir," I responded confidently, "I've contemplated this since my youth, delving into various myths about supernatural beings. What if we synthesize human blood?"

"Brilliant idea, Prince Sebastian. Your associate, Ms. Ratzinger, made significant contributions to this meeting. I assume her stay with you has been equally beneficial?"

"Yes, it has been," Sebastian affirmed.

"Meeting adjourned!" The man declared.

The room emptied swiftly after the man's departure, but the atmosphere shifted abruptly as a deafening explosion reverberated through the building. My stomach churned, and dread painted my face. I instinctively looked to Sebastian, who stood, hand outstretched.

I grasped his hand, and in an instant, he whisked me away to a staircase, lifting me in his arms. As we descended with the speed only a vampire possessed, a peculiar out-of-body sensation overcame me.

Abruptly, he halted, and I tumbled from his grasp, pain surging through my body. Gritting my teeth, I struggled to rise, my head throbbing. I turned to see Sebastian ensnared by a force field, electrocuted by rods at the passageway's corners.

I moved toward him, reaching out to touch the barrier.

"No, Abigail!" he strained, his voice tense. "Run to the lobby. My guards will ensure you return to the palace safely!"

"No need to waste your time, dear," a strong and unsettling sympathetic voice snared.

"You'll only end up seeing the empty bloody shells of what used to be his guards; besides, my people can do you better good than he could have ever given you."

With those chilling words, the man donned black, thick rubber gloves lined with silver and seized Sebastian by the head, beginning to wrench at it.

Hands gripped my body, restraining my arms at the back. Despite the urge to fight back, my body surged with pain. As I turned to face my captors, a needle pierced my neck.

"No!" I screamed, feeling the cold metal invade my skin.

In horror, I witnessed the skin around Sebastian's neck stretching, forming black lines. His eyes never left mine, filled with an unyielding fury. Though relief washed over me at the thought of being free from my captor, memories of Sebastian's welcoming mother fought against the dark thoughts invading my mind.

As the man neared decapitating Sebastian, he abruptly halted, listening to instructions through his earpiece before cutting off the force field's power.

"Two of you, hold his head and carry him to the van out front. Now!"

His orders were swiftly executed. The men holding me did the same, dragging my limp body down the stairs.

The exit door swung open, and bright sunlight blinded my eyes.

"How could it be day when we came here at night?" I wondered.

I turned to Sebastian, whose skin began to smoke upon contact with the sun.

"Get him out of the sun!" I shouted.

"Shut up! Can't you see that's what we're doing!"

"Cover him with something, then!" I yelled in frustration, the glow in my chain intensifying by the minute.

A sudden familiarity overcame me as I looked ahead at the van door, spotting one of Sebastian's mother's guards. One good thing about me – I never forget a face.

"Isn't she supposed to be knocked out by now?" A guard questioned.

"Yeah, that ain't right."

Sebastian is forcefully thrown into the back of the vehicle, and as they carry him, he bleeds, the wound agonizingly slow to heal.

As soon as I'm placed at the back near him, I witness his hands and neck tightly bound with silver chains, searing into his skin. The leader strides towards the vans, flanked by about two dozen vampires dressed in the royal uniform. Upon seeing them, he bellows, "Do it!"

Hey guys sorry for the long wait I was so busy dealing with a lot but here it is, hope you guys enjoy and I wanna say welcome to new readers.

Love Ariel 💕

Vote
Comment
Follow