Chapter 7: Cryptic

"I won't say a word, I promise.

Josh rushes to his nightstand, pulling his phone over towards him to see multiple messages. One from Maria, one from Rich and one from... an unknown number.

His eyes widened at mystery number. He pulls at his hair in frustration as he tries to remember but can not remember a thing. This could be someone he knew or someone he didn't. Josh didn't know what was worse right now…

Maria
Thank you for treating me with such care last night... you are a gentleman 😘.

Rich
Please don't tell Maria what happened.

Unknown number
Are you alright this morning?

Josh's mind spins like a top. Each of these messages sounded cryptic, with no clarity. He tries to think as hard as he can about the previous night, but it's all a blur. He figures the best solution is to pull his duvet over his head and go back to sleep and never wake up... ever.

***

When he finally opens his eyes, it's dark, and he realises he has slept the whole Saturday.  As he lays on his back, staring at the ceiling, he wonders about that mystery number. Who was it? Josh wondered if he should just grab the bull by the horns and text back. They were at least asking. But what if it was Neil? What if he never went home after all? He pulls his phone towards him but is distracted by more messages from Maria…

Maria
Hey,

How are you feeling today?

Thanks again for last night. 😘

You can message me any time.

Can't wait to see you again.

Josh mentally curses himself. Did he actually go to 'that place' with Maria?

He knew he should message her at least. He desperately wanted to ask what exactly he had done, but he didn't want to sound like he had no clue.

His thumb hovers over the keypad. What the hell does he write?

Please don't tell anyone...

No, that sounded a little like a shameful secret.

I was drunk. Please don't read too much into it...

No, now he sounded like a user. Delete.

Shall we keep it between us?...

Josh read back the line. This made it sound mysterious and exciting. This is how he wanted her to see it. It would at least give him time to work out the next course of action. He presses send.

He didn't have to wait long until a reply popped up.

Maria
You needn't be so shy about it. 😊

Josh exhales a heavy sigh. Monday waa going to be fun.

****

Josh enters the office with trepidation. Everyone is already here apart from Neil and Maria. Josh looks into the faces of everyone, trying to pick up a vibe, but everyone seems to be getting on with work.

He then meets eyes with Rich, who glances a second before looking back down and clearing his throat. What is his secret? His usual smart ass self seemed to be rather subdued. Josh puts his bag by his desk and decides to talk to him.

"Rich… can I have a word?"

Rich reluctantly gets off his swivel chair. "kitchen." He says under his breath.

They enter the small space, and he turns to face Josh. "I don't want to talk about it. Please. You promised."

Josh looks at Rich. He didn't have the heart to tell him he didn't have any clue what Rich was talking about. "I won't." Josh replies, but he wants to know. He tries to get an idea... "About Maria?"

Rich looks down and nods. "She already thinks I'm an idiot and I've made it worse."

Josh deduces that he made a fool of himself in front of her. He didn't even realise he liked her that much. Shit. If he knew she and him might have...

"I won't say a word. I promise."

"Thank you." He utters and clears his throat.

Josh's thoughts then turn to Neil. "Um. Mr Rose... Neil...he didn't come out with us in the end... did he?"

Rich looks at Josh, raising an eyebrow. "Seriously? I said I'd keep your secret if you kept mine.

Rich doesn't even give him a chance to respond as he pushes past him to his desk, leaving Josh utterly confused.

Josh heads back to his workspace, and as he sits down, Maria walks in. She heads straight to his desk and perches on the end of it.

"Morning you." She says, smiling down at him." She places a pre packed sandwich on the desk and leans over to Josh's ear. "A little something to say thank you for last night," she whispers.

"Uh, thank you." Josh forces a smile. She then gets up from the desk and slowly walks to hers, giving Rich a glare before sitting down. Rich looks at Josh and shuffles a little on his seat before he puts on his headset.

Then, that familiar scent enters the room.  "Morning everyone."

"Morning Neil." They all say in unison.

Josh tenses up a little and swallows hard. He still couldn't get it clear in his mind whether Neil did come back out Friday night or not, as Rich didn't actually specify. But Josh guessed he was about to find out...

"Josh...a word in my office, please."

Josh pushes his chair back from his desk and follows Neil like a lamb to his office door.

"Please close the door." He says as they head in. Josh swallows down his growing nerves as he pushes the door closed behind him.

"No need to sit." He says as he makes his way around to his chair, making himself comfortable. Josh puts his hands together behind his back. It feels like he's back in school in the teachers office. Neil just looks at Josh. He looks back at Neil, and Josh feels like Neil is waiting for him to say something.

"Am I in trouble?" He begins. He's pretty sure his work performance had been spot on. This couldn't have been about work.

"No, Josh. Just wondered how you're settling in...it's been a month now."

"Um... yes, I'm settled now. Everyone is nice."

"And last night. Did you enjoy last night?"

Josh pulls his lips into his mouth. This question could potentially hold a lot of weight, and he didn't know how to answer.

"Yes, it was... nice? It was very nice." Had he answered correctly? He could feel his heart thumping in his chest.

Neil now gets up and walks around to him at the other side of the desk. He puts his right hand on Josh's left shoulder.

What is he doing? What is he doing? Josh stares down at his black boots.

"Look at me, Josh." Josh can feel the heat from his warm hand, the feel of his breath on his face as he tries to compose himself the best he can as he looks into his face, into those brown eyes.

Neil smiles at him, just a hint of a smile, as he says the last thing Josh expects.

"You look better in contacts."