Chapter 38

Loki watched Rain sit down across from him, somewhat confused and very surprised.

All but one of the women who came in with her left, and the one remaining stayed by the door and stood quietly.

Loki turned his attention back to Rain.

"I don't understand" Loki said after a silent moment of Rain staring at him expectantly "last time I spoke to you you weren't interested in helping SHIELD at all. You were loyal to Elijah and to Henry, I had to bribe you just to get a set of coordinates. Now you're our informant?"
Loki was expecting a long winded explanation, but he didn't get one.

"I got better" she said with a chirpy simplicity.

"you got better..." Loki repeated.

Rain shrugged.

"Well I think I'm better, But Dr. Gilmore says I need more therapy. She thinks I still have issues" she said, glaring over her shoulder at the woman at the door.

The woman at the door said her first words since entering.

"I didn't say you have issues, Rain. I said we still had some progress to make before we could stop our sessions"

Rain didn't say anything back to the doctor, she just looked back at Loki and rolled her eyes. 

"Anyway. I'm doing better now. I'm willing to help and I won't even try to take anything from you" she said, looking a little more serious "though I am a little disappointed I never got to take a fingernail..." she added, looking a little too intently at Lokis hands.

"Rain, we've talked about this" Dr. Gilmore said quickly "What did we decide on how comments like that make people feel?"

Rain looked annoyed again and didn't bother looking back at her doctor to respond.

"That it tends to make people uncomfortable" she said half heartedly, like she'd heard that phrase a few too many times.

"And how do you think Loki feels right now?" Gilmore asked.

Rain looked at Lokis expression for a moment or two and then shrugged.

"He looks fine to me" she said, this time turning back to look at her therapist.

Rain could see the look of disapproval on Gilmore's face so she turned back to Loki.

"Sorry" she said pretty insincerely.

Loki tried not to appear amused and just nodded.
"That's alright. Why don't you just tell me what you have to say and we'll get this over with" he suggested.

Rain looked up at the camera in the corner of the room. She knew they were being watched and listened to.

"It's just my team watching us" Loki assured her, seeing her eyeing the camera.

"I don't trust other people" Rain told him definitively.

Loki nodded.

"You trust me, right?"  He asked.

Rain looked annoyed.

"That's not the same. Ive met you, I know you're not an infiltrator"

Loki nodded again.

"I know. But if you trust me, then trust me when I tell you that you can also trust my team. They're the good guys, even more so than I am" there was a compassion and kindness to his tone, and his team on the other side of the camera wasn't used to hearing it.

Rain looked at the camera once more and then leaned forward to whisper to Loki.

"Sitwell" she said very quietly, so much so that Loki had to lean in close just to hear her.