Chapter XXV: Turning Point (Pt.2)

"That's good. She's okay. But about Vicki, I knew we shouldn't trust her," he said firmly.

      "I don't know," I said, conflicted. "Now that I have time to think, I feel she was protecting me somehow. She was definitely holding back when we fought. I think me showing up put her in a difficult position, and she was trying to find a way to help me without making it seem like it."

      "What gave you that idea," Tymon asked.

      "So, you nearly killed yourself for a ploy," Trik asked simultaneously.

      "Well, after I took the tablet, she started fighting differently, exposing more openings for me to strike her. I only noticed it after she mentioned just how inexperienced I am.... I think she let me escape. At the time, I wasn't aware, though. I was genuinely confused and felt threatened," I claimed.

      "There must be something dangerous in there since Vicki reacted that way," Trik stated thoughtfully as he stroked his chin.

      "Probably," I replied.

      I looked up at Tymon and saw he was concentrating on me.

      "What? Don't tell me I have more gray hair," I said, pulling my hair forward to check.

      "No, it's just that your energy hasn't gone back down even though it's been over 72 hours," he stated.

      "I do feel different now," I mentioned as I focused on sensing my power. "Yeah, I can still feel an increase in my spirit energy."

      "I wonder why it has gone down yet," Trik asked.

      Viraa? You have any insights about what's going on, I questioned.

      I have my suspicions, she responded coyly.

      And, of course, she had no intention of sharing those suspicions with us. She must have a very different idea of helping.

      "Well, regardless of why, I don't plan to take any more of them," I assured them. "The aftereffects felt like I was gonna die."

      "Anything else you can recall," Tymon asked me.

      "Nope. It's exactly as I've said: I heard noises, hid, looked inside, and...."

      My eyes widened as I suddenly realized something.

      "I'm such an idiot," I said as I slapped my palm on my forehead. "That's what Vicki was talking about."

      "What," Trik asked, confused.

      "Thinking back, when I saw Za'Fia, she appeared annoyed while looking in my direction. I hadn't thought anything of it then because I'd already suppressed my spirit energy so I wouldn't get caught, but then I carelessly enhanced my vision, which required a little spirit energy. Thinking about it now, everyone there was suppressing their spirit energy, so I must've stuck out like a sore thumb," I stated.

      "They could sense me the whole time," I continued. "That's why Vicki was so mad and probably why Za'Fia seemed annoyed.... And Vicki was about to tell me if she could sense me, so could someone else....Someone higher than a Sub-Deity was in the building with Za'Fia."

      "That makes sense," Trik voiced. "One of the High Gods probably stays there to watch her."

      "Now what?" I asked.

      "You think after the other night, they've increased security around the place?" Trik asked Tymon.

      "Maybe with Holders," Tymon replied. "I doubt they'd add more High Gods since they most likely feel unthreatened by us. That could work in our favor, though. We know where Za'Fia is and someone who can give us answers. If we can catch whoever's watching her by surprise and I move fast enough, I can free Za'Fia, and she and I can take down the High God there."

      "Then we can better understand what's going on," Trik agreed.

      "Where's the location of the building you saw," Tymon asked me.

      Before answering, I happened to look up into Tymon's eyes. When I looked, I saw a sad determination in them. I don't know what it was, but I knew giving him the location wasn't a good idea.

      "I'm not telling you," I said stubbornly. "What's to stop you from rushing off on your own? I'll take us myself."

      A couple of hours later, we were standing where I had seen the building a few days before. Turns out, the middle of nowhere was somewhere in south New Mexico in part of the Chihuahuan Desert. Except now it wasn't there. Only a large imprint of the building's shape was on the ground.

      "I swear it was here," I declared. "A building can't just disappear."

      "There's no indication of an explosion or it being demolished," Trik stated as he examined the ground. "There's not even an indication of it being pushed away."

      "Pushed?" I commented.

      Trik shrugged.

      "You never know," he said. "Anyway, it's as if the building got up and disappeared."

      "Well, you're half right," Tymon said, looking skyward.

      Trik and I followed his line of sight and saw a small structure floating high in the sky.

      "It's in the sky?" I questioned aloud.

      "Seems so," Tymon responded as he unfurled his wings and began to lift himself off the ground.

      "Tymon, what are you doing," I asked as he floated out of reach.

      "There's no place for a human up there," he expressed. "When the fighting starts, I won't be able to focus if I have to keep either of you safe too."

      He looked at Trik.

      "Protect her and yourself," he said. Then, we felt a strong gust of wind as a dark streak shot skyward toward the floating structure.

* * * *

This most likely won't go my way, Tymon thought as he rocketed toward the floating building

      He could still sense his impending death, stronger than ever now.

      The least he wanted to do before it happened was free Za'Fia so that she could help Alissia and Trik find the others. Maybe they will have found a way to stop Avarice by the time he reincarnated in 17 years.

      Tymon was maybe 30,000 feet in the air when he finally reached the building. He landed quietly in front of giant double doors as he folded in his wings.

      The plan was to bust through the door, use the moment of surprise to speed over to wherever Za'Fia was, and quickly break her out before they fought whoever guarded her.

      To Tymon's surprise, after busting through one of the doors, he found it wasn't just one person guarding Za'Fia.

      He now stood before Verin, three people he assumed were the High Gods, and Avarice himself. Each smiling in anticipation.

      "Hello, Tymon," Avarice said. "We were waiting for you."