Chapter XXIV: Leery Vibes (Pt.3)

It just dawned on me that I hadn't heard any snide remarks about Tymon from him lately. It was like the more we learned of Tymon's past, the more understanding Trik became. Perhaps he sees that Tymon being in the situation and state he's in wasn't his choice.

      "The only problem is how to make sure Avarice can't capture and force s to tell him while also keeping Za'Fia...." Tymon stated.

      We spent most of the day thinking of ways to leverage Avarice, but we couldn't come up with anything.

      I was frustrated that regardless of the information we had, we still couldn't save Za'Fia. We didn't even know where she was, and the day was almost over.

      I rode on my compact board to help clear my head and digest everything from the day. Maybe I'd think of something that we overlooked.

      Sometime after leaving, it began to rain, but I was so engrossed in my thoughts that it didn't bother me.

      My mind had somehow returned to my dispute with Tymon about his killing proposition. Even though I understood where he was coming from, I was starting to have difficulty accepting Tymon's nature as a Primordial. Yes, Avarice was a despicable guy, and Verin was just as bad, maybe worse, but that didn't mean we had to kill them to stop them. We can't be the good guys if we kill our enemies. I'd never killed anyone nor been responsible for anyone's death....There had to be a better way.

      I realized I'd been flying for a while and was going over 300mph. I had no idea where I was. Before I could check my location, I suddenly heard something nearby.

      This was alarming because it was late, and I was in the middle of nowhere.

      Looking around, I spotted a massive building in the direction of the noise and quickly landed. I subconsciously suppressed my spirit energy in case someone could sense me. I crept slowly to some nearby boulders that helped keep me hidden. As I made my way, I tried to move carefully so my steps weren't heard in the muddy puddles around me.

      When I was finally close, I could see people unloading crates labeled JANUS from a large truck. They were taking them into an old three-story building that looked like a museum with its two giant doors swung wide open.

      Inside, the people were setting the crates down near the entrance.

      I enhanced my vision to see more and saw that the inside of the building was shaped like a half-dome and looked more like a science collection. There was a red path on the floor from the entrance to what looked like a gold and red throne that had a giant metal wall behind it. From my position, I couldn't see what was on the left side of the path, but on the right, I saw Za'Fia clear as day.

      She was being held in some transparent glass container built into a wall. I suddenly realized the people moving the crates must be Holders.

      This was great! I found Za'Fia!

      I told you by day's end, Viraa chided. Now I think it's best you leave.

      Right, I responded.

      The last thing I needed was to get caught. I marked my location with my c-chip so I could return later with the others.

      After walking a good distance from the Holders, I felt I was far enough not to be sensed and prepared to pull out my compact board, but I was suddenly attacked.

      I was sent rolling a few feet before I righted myself and looked up at my assailant.

      "You really shouldn't have come here, Lisa," said Vicki, her eyes glowing a cold violet.