“Us mortals are minuscule and useless, but we will not always be like this.” The empress pushed aside the evil cultivator, her expression calm. “So what if you are an immortal? In front of life and death, how are you any different compared to us mortals?

“Us mortals can be terrified and angry before death. You are the same.” The empress slapped the evil cultivator. The evil cultivator wanted to retaliate, but Kong Hou pulled out Water Frost Sword to point at his throat.

The evil cultivator endured and pulled his hand back.

“See, you are also trash that fears others.” The empress slapped the evil cultivator again. “One day…”

One day, the mortals would rely on themselves to make life better. They would not have to scrape and bow like dogs in front of immortals.

But… would such a day really come?

The empress looked back dazedly. Even she only dared to vent on this evil immortal because Ji Kong Hou was here. If Ji Kong Hou was gone, would she dare? She asked herself. The answer was clear. She would not.

She would not dare to oppose these immortals. She would fear that, if they were unhappy, more people would suffer. So in the end, she would only compromise and do all she was able so the people could live.

“Empress niangniang, go back and rest.” Kong Hou could see the empress’ emotions were not right and spoke. “My friends and I are going to the site of the plague, and will not attend this banquet.”

She only came here to find the hidden evil cultivator, not really for this banquet.

The empress did not understand the Withering of Ten Thousand Bones, but from the words of the evil immortal, she could guess the matter was not simple, and almost unsolvable. She did not know if Ji Kong Hou would be in danger. She could not watch by as the other went into danger.

“You… ” The empress started bitterly. She took a step back and bowed low. “We cannot repay your great favor. Thank you.”

“You do not have to thank me.” Kong Hou rose in the air to stop the empress from bowing any longer. Her usually smiling face was serious. “I once thought if I had been able to prevent my father emperor’s actions in the past, maybe many people would not have suffered.”

The empress was silent. How old was Ji Kong Hou then, five or six? When the patrol had captured her and brought her back, her face was covered in dust the servants had purposefully put on. She looked exceptionally disheveled, but that pair of eyes was both large and bright. She did not know it might be death awaiting her.

Facing such a pair of eyes, her heart softened. She said to His Majesty to leave an imperial daughter as a puppet. It would be more useful than killing her. She and His Majesty were not in love any longer, but he still respected her and accepted her suggestion.

After that, she had the palace attendants constantly observe Kong Hou so she could not interact with members of the previously dynasty. Letting the young girl live was the greatest kindness she gave the survivors of the previous dynasty.

In this moment, she rejoiced for her moment of soft-heartedness back then. Otherwise, when they encountered today’s events, the people of the world would be helpless, their life and death in the hands of these immortals.

“Niangniang, farewell.” Kong Hou turned to look at Kong Hou and pulled the corner of his robe. “Let’s go.”

“All right.” Huan Zhong smiled at Kong Hou brightly.

Kong Hou’s heart shook slightly. Looking at the smiling Huan Zhong, the worry and disappointment in her heart gradually disappeared.

“Please wait a moment.” The grand princess, eyes swollen from crying, stood up. “I committed wrong against you in these years.”