The rumbling gets closer. It sounds more like hundreds of footsteps now. I can hear clicking, scurrying, squealing, and scraping sounds coming closer and closer.

Then on top of a small hill in front of us, a wave of giant rats appear...

My stomach drops.

I'm not scared of them because I think they're dangerous... these things... just look disgusting....

Over 20 fat brown rats crawl over the top of a dirt hill and charge toward us. I can smell rotting flesh from here. They have beady red eyes, long pink noses, crooked white teeth, matted brown hair, and scar-covered fleshy tails.

They're over 2m long...

I look at Maria. We both gulp and run at the wave of rodents.

I ignite into a ball of flames and Maria begins to create a barrier of Ice fragments all around her. I swerve off to the right, and she takes the left. Together, we release a wave of magic up the hill of rats and obliterate them all in the blink of an eye.

We continue our charge all the way up the hill, not stopping until every last one of them is frozen solid or burned to a crisp. Once we make it to the top I activate enemy detection again, and widen my search distance.

"There's... thousands of them... everywhere..."

I can sense groups of rats piling together across the entire dungeon. Doing so used up a bit of MP, but I'll manage. It let me pinpoint a few other teams as well. It looks like there are 7 other parties in here with us. Their numbers vary, but none are too close by.

I turn my head to a far corner of the dungeon as I sense an odd presence. It's kind of strong... but is definitely not a hunter. I point in its direction.

"Let's make a quick detour, I'm curious about something. I might pay off."

Maria looks up at me.

"Okay, fine with me."

We turn and begin to trek toward the odd presence.

After traveling about 1km off track, we finally near our destination. There were 3 more waves of rats along the way, all increasing in size. Our last ambush consisted of over 50 rats.

They're easy to kill, but pretty hard on the eyes...

I point to a large dirt hill in the distance.

"That's it. We're here."

The moment I open my mouth, the beast I was looking for appears.

I use inspect.

[Lv. 143]

"Nothing special... but we're getting somewhere."

On top of the hill stands a massive mutant rat. It's easily 4m long and covered in scars with dark black matted hair. There seems to be a glowing white light behind it as well. It's making the rat stand out in this gloomy environment.

I grin and run at the monster. It screeches and a wave of rats appears behind it. There are easily a hundred of them...

I burst into a ball of fire and begin massacring the wave. Maria follows close behind and begins freezing dozens of them at a time as well. Every time I land a hit with my sword I use plunderer to restore my MP.

Moments later, we both make it to the top of the hill leaving trails of fire and ice behind us.

*SHINGGG*

In perfect synchronicity, Maria and I cut the mutant rat into pieces. We stand on top of the hill admiring our handiwork.

Although, after a while, I have to cover my mouth and nose as the burning rat corpses disappear one by one.