👑 Chapter Six 👑

The king stood up from his majestic throne and walked towards her with determination. She felt chills run through her body as he got closer. She knew nothing about him other than the stories her father used to tell her before bedtime. She felt insignificant in his presence. After he got underneath the illuminated chandelier, where she could see his face, he stopped.

The King was a handsome young man of thirty with smooth ivory skin that matched his bright hazel-green eyes. His golden brown hair suited a jewelled crown, giving him a royal appearance. His broad shoulders were covered with the luxurious fur of his navy blue cloak, which draped down his back and billowed around him as he walked, giving him a walk full of dignity and pride. His costume was expensively decorated with silver embroidery and buttons.

Her face turned pale; she could no longer walk, so she knelt on the ground with her head lowered, trying to avoid his looks. She looked like she was waiting for her executioner to execute her.

The king broke the silence in the room with a sharp tone: "So you are the girl who attacked the Templars."

Annie didn't answer his words, not because she couldn't defend herself but because her voice was frozen in her throat. She tried to speak, but fear got the better of her.

The king then continued his speech: "I don't know whether what you did was reckless or brave, but neither will help you."

Then, in an almost screaming voice, Annie protested his words while looking him straight in the eye: "That's not true... I defended myself because the Temple men attacked us. " Shall we wait for your knights to save us after the Temple men get what they want from us?" Her eyes sparkled red. "We will not wait for someone to defend us; we will defend ourselves with our bare hands."

Her voice echoed in the throne hall, which was as quiet as an abandoned graveyard.

King: "Stand up, miss!"

Annie gathered her strength and pushed herself up, but she felt like everything was moving around her; she lost her balance and fell to the ground unconscious. She was so exhausted, she couldn't move anymore.

The blue lapis lazuli gem on her necklace shimmered in the faint candlelight and wove its way among the strands of her golden hair.

The king bent down to get a closer look at the necklace that caught his attention. He reached out to take it off Annie's neck. Then he held the necklace up to examine it closely in the light of the chandelier.

The king turned to Annie, who was passing out, with a surprised face and said, "That's incredible!"

The king called the chief butler right away and ordered him to send Annie to the Pearl Palace, which is usually used to receive important guests, and take care of her until he had a plan for her later. As for the necklace, he kept it until he was sure of something.

                                                             *************♡**************

It was the morning of a new day, and Annie slowly opened her eyes. She was expecting to see the iron bars and stone walls of the dungeon she was supposed to enter, but instead, she was in a luxurious room. The bed was large enough for four people and had silk curtains to block the sun's rays in the morning coming from the balcony. The pillows were so soft that it was like sleeping on clouds. In the centre of the room was a rectangular table made of sandalwood, with two chairs around it. And there were paintings and artefacts for decoration in the room.

"On the opposite wall is a dresser with all kinds of perfumes, jewellery, and cosmetics. Near the dresser, there are two doors on the right, a walk-in wardrobe for clothes, shoes, and hats. On the left is a private bathroom with a large basin and a table filled to the brim with shower oils, perfumes, and soap."

Annie got up from her bed and looked in the mirror. Her hair was styled smoothly behind her back. She was wearing a nightgown—a wide, pearly white one. She started walking around the room, not believing what she saw. She touched things with her hand to make sure whether it was just an illusion of her imagination or reality.

The gentle morning breeze stirred the curtains, drawing her gaze towards the balcony. She took heavy steps, not believing what she was seeing. Annie grabbed the railing with both hands and looked down.

Her balcony overlooks the back gardens of the palace, each one elegantly designed. Nearby, there was a dense forest.

Annie gasped in surprise when she realised she was in a different place each time she woke up. She felt like she was trapped in a nightmare, and then she heard the doorknob turn. She waited a few seconds to see who it could be, and then a woman entered with chestnut brown hair pulled up in a bun and hazel eyes that looked like she was in her late twenties.

She was carrying a breakfast tray. She smiled and said, "Good morning, miss!" As soon as she saw her sitting on the porch floor, Flora hurriedly put the tray on the table and rushed over to Annie.

"Why are you perched upon the chilly floor, miss, when you could be indoors where it's warm?" "Furthermore, donning such delicate attire on the balcony may lead to catching a cold."

Flora helped her get up and go to the bathroom so she could clean her face. After Annie came out, she stood watching from a distance, confused, while the other one started emptying the tray and preparing the breakfast table.

"Come closer, dear; don't be afraid. I made the tea myself." Nobody drinks my tea without compliments."

Annie approached the table without making any initial comments and took a seat in silence. She only looked at the woman standing across from her with doubtful eyes.

"Who asked you to serve me?" "More importantly, why am I here receiving such treatment?"

The girl grinned and smiled warmly, saying, "My name is Flora, Miss! A palace housekeeper conveyed, "We, the maids and servants, have received instructions from the King to take care of you, and the knights have been tasked with your protection as well."

" Then she gave her a little bell, adding: "So, miss, if you need anything, feel free to ring the bell. We are at your command."

Annie still felt strange and continued to eat in silence and wonder.

"Yesterday, I was in the temple prison awaiting my trial. And what made it even stranger was that, when I met the king, I thought that I would be executed. I shouted at him unconsciously, but the next day, I woke up and found myself here."

While eating her meal, she turned to Flora, who was still standing and pouring tea, and began to ask some questions that piqued her interest.

Annie: "Tell me about the king. What kind of person is he?"

Flora placed the teapot aside and began to share her thoughts about the king with great enthusiasm, describing his handsome features and courage.

Flora: "The King is a unique man. He spends all his time solving his people's problems and ensuring their safety. After the incident, they didn't suffer.

Annie talked to herself: "Was it an accident that happened the year I was born?"

Flora added in a fearful tone: "But the king's only problem is that he is cold-hearted, and he does not forgive mistakes easily... " I once heard of a nobleman who embezzled public funds for winter relief."

Annie wondered, "What happened?"

Flora answered, "At the banquet of a hunting competition during late autumn, when the King addressed his nobles, he cut off his head as a warning and brandished it with the tip of his sword."

The cold sweat began dripping off Annie's forehead with strong fear after she remembered her shout at the king.

Annie smiled nervously and said, "This story is really interesting. Haha."