Chapter 41: Gift Giving

Start from the beginning

Kong Hou took the mountain mushrooms. After blowing on one, she shoved it into her mouth. Lin Hu who saw this from the side thought silently, this Miss Kong Hou is such a brave person for daring to put anything into her mouth.

“Delicious!” Kong Hou inhaled, burnt by the mushroom. “The fragrance of the honey and the tenderness of the mushrooms mixed together is delicious. Huan Zhong, you are amazing—you really know how to do everything!”

“As long as you like it.” Huan Zhong’s back stayed strong and he did not meet Lin Hu’s gaze.

“You and Elder Lin, taste this as well.” Kong Hou saw Huan Zhong and Lin Hu motionless and divided the mushrooms between them. “Do not waste them.”

After eating the roasted mushrooms, Huan Zhong took out a gourd bottle for Kong Hou to wash her hands. “Just eat little amounts of things like this. Do not eat too much; it is not good for your health. As for the remaining mountain mushrooms…” He looked towards Lin Hu. “Have Lin Hu fry them for you.”

Kong Hou was reluctant, but when she saw the oil splattered on Huan Zhong’s clothing, she felt that it was a crime that she made Huan Zhong accompany her to do things like this.

“All right.” Kong Hou nodded and looked around. “Could I look around the surroundings?”

“We are friends.” Huan Zhong stared at Kong Hou. “You do not have to be courteous with me.”

Seeing Huan Zhong’s serious gaze, Kong Hou stilled. “Oh.”

Seeing her dazed look, Huan Zhong stood and smiled at her. “Go.”

“Then I am gone.” As a young cultivator who had not seen much, Kong Hou had great interest in many things in the cultivation world. The golden house mimicked the layout of a palace, so there was an inner and outer hall. Exquisite lanterns hung down the eaves.

When Kong Hou had been young, she had her mother tell the story of an emperor and empress. The emperor and empress were childhood sweethearts, and the emperor said to the empress he would build the most beautiful and grandest gold palace for her.

She did not remember if the emperor fulfilled his promise in the end, she only remembered that her mother-empress had a dispirited look when she told this story. She had not understood back then. Now, looking back, she understood a little. Maybe the emperor did not fulfill his promise, so Mother-Empress had not told her the ending to the story.

The bells under the eaves chimed. Kong Hou suddenly became happy. She saw the golden and grand palace that the emperor had promised the empress. She picked up her dress and jumped onto the roof.

The wind on the roof was slightly strong. She looked into the distance towards the dark mountain valley. The golden palace under her was the only light in the darkness.

“Master.” Lin Hu looked at Huan Zhong who had changed clothing. “It is time for you to eat your medicine.”

Huan Zhong silently took the medicinal pills. After swallowing the pills, he suddenly said, “It would have been good if Kong Hou had not joined Splendid Cloud Sect.”

Lin Hu was shocked. What did Master mean?

“If she were my apprentice…” Huan Zhong stopped and imagined what it would have been like if he had raised Kong Hou from a young age.

“Master, Miss Kong Hou’s personality is not suitable for Radiance Sect,” Lin Hu said tactfully. “Do you not think so?” Radiance Sect had a bunch of cultivation maniacs. How could they raise a girl like Kong Hou? Only Splendid Cloud Sect could raise a girl with such a personality.