Chapter 12

Mark was in the dinning table watching Lily playing in the meadow with his dogs. His nieces and nephews all went back to their own homes, so Lily had no one to play with. Although Lily still seemed happy.

"Hey, Mark" said Thomas, his big brother

"Tom! I didn't noticed that you were here already"

"Well, I just came here. I heard that you've adopted a sweet little girl. Is that her?"

"Yeah."

"Congratulations" He pats him on the back

"Thanks"

"So, have you planned out yet?"

"For what?"

"For her future?"

He stopped to think "I never really thought about that"

"Have you planned on where she's going to school? Or what she'll need when she becomes a teen? Have you prepared a good place for you two? ... Nothing?"

A feeling of panic and worry  flowed through his spine. "Wait, how do you even know these things?"

"My best friend had the same problem..."

"I haven't planned anything yet."

"Then what are you gonna do? Without a plan, you'll get confused in the future."

"I don't know" Mark paused, then looked back at him "What do you suggest me to do?"

"Well..." he rubbed his chin "You can always leave her here for the mean time. Then when you're ready, you can come and get her."

It sounded like a good idea, but Mark didn't want to leave her.

If I take her with me, things might not work out well. After all, I don't know anything of being a dad.

~o~

"Okay," Mark decided "Maybe she can stay here for just a while. Maybe then I can finally figure things out."

"Well, tell her then."

He pointed at Lily outside. She was playing with his dog, Lucy. She looked so happy

I wonder what she'll say...

~o~

Its a little late in the afternoon. Mark went out and joined Lily. She was just sitting down in the grassy field with Lucy.

"Hey, watcha doin?" Mark started.

"Oh nothing. Just resting. Lucy and I were really exhausted." She said as she placed her hand on the dog's fur, stroking it softly.

"Did you had fun with Lucy?"

"Yes, definitely. But it would've been more fun with you." She smiled ever bright at him.

"Well, maybe I can play for one round."

"YEHEY!!!" She screamed in excitement.  "TAG! You're it" she patted him then ran away.

"Oh no you don't!" Then he chased after Lily.

They ran and ran, chased after each other and laughed all together. They had so much fun just playing tag, even Lucy was enjoying her day.

Finally, after the long and exhausting chase, Mark and Lily settled on a bench near the house.

Then Mark said "Sweetie, I need to tell you something."

Lily scooted closer to Mark "What is it?"

Mark took a breath, and started.

"Lily, I want to give you the life that you deserve. I want you good future. So, to do that, daddy needs to work hard for it. For you" He looked at Lily and saw her smiling.

Then he continued "So Lily, I need you to stay here for the mean time."

Lily's smile faded away really fast. Tears fell on her cheeks and tried her best to speak clearly. "Why can't I stay with you? Is it because I'll just be a burden to you? Is it because I might distract you? Why did you even adopt me in the first place!!??"

She ran to the house and up to her room.

"Hey, Lily! That's not what I... ugh.." Mark tried to reason with her but she already shut the door. Mark sat back to the chair and rubbed his forehead and the bridge of his nose.

Great. You made her upset. Good job Mark. Now what?

Mark's mind was filled with thoughts, also memories from when he met Lily. Then he realized that all this time, he can take care of Lily just fine.

Why am I so stupid? I should have never thought of leaving her here. I need to talk to her.

Finally, Mark went inside and up to Lily's room. He knocked on the door.

"Lily?" No answer. He knocked on the door again and turned the knob. He was surprised that it wasn't locked, so he went inside.

A chill in his spine and a frightened look was in Mark when he saw the window wide open.

There were white feathers everywhere, most of them were leading outside. Though it didn't make any sense, Mark knew that she left through the window.

"LILY!!??" He called out

What am I doing? Of course she wouldn't answer.

Mark went out through the window and tried to find her. The rest of the feathers were already flying away in different direction.

He heard flapping from a distance. He turned and saw a dove landed on the window, took a feather and flew to Mark's face.

The bird was indicating Mark to follow him. It, again, did not made any sense. But Mark had an urge to follow him.

The bird lead him, not far, into the woods near his home. The bird flew up to a tree. Mark looked up and saw Lily sitting on a branch not that high.

"Lily, thank goodness, what are you doing up there?"

"Come up here and see"

Lily sounded fine, like she wasn't mad anymore. So Mark climbed up the tree and sat next to her.

Mark saw a beautiful view of the sunset.

"Beautiful right? I used to have this view every night."

Mark took a moment to look at the view. Then Lily spoke again.

"Dad, I'm sorry for how I acted earlier."

"No, Lily. I should be saying sorry."

"Let me finish" Mark followed

"I wasn't usually like that. I was just really upset. I never had a dad in my entire life. But now that I have one, I don't want to be spending time here away from you."

Mark then pulled for a hug. Lily then hugged back.

"Lily, I was wrong to even think of leaving you behind. I just got confused of things, and this is the first time I'll ever be a parent. I'm sorry Lily."

They were both silent and just watched the sun sink to the ground and the darkness surround the skies.

"What now?" Lily asked

"Well, pack your things. Were going home." Mark smiled.

.