𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒙𝒍𝒊𝒙.

―✧―

"𝐀 𝐁𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐀𝐈𝐍

"𝐀 𝐁𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐀𝐈𝐍."

immediately, theo began muttering incantations and spells, while leo's hands pulled random things out of his tool belt, supplying theo with materials.

there'd been a time when theo wasn't even able to tell a wrench and screwdriver apart, but after so much time working on the argo ii, with leo, with riley, he considered himself a bit of an expert.

the only problem with theo making some random machine, was that leo was the one who had to do the talking.

"so the thing is," leo said as he passed wire to theo, "zeus is already p.o.'ed at you, right? if you help us defeat gaia, you could make it up to him."

apollo wrinkled his nose. "i suppose that's possible. but it would be easier to smite you."

"what kind of ballad would that make?" leo asked.

theo tried to trust leo as he whispered another incantation, attaching a brass funnel that leo had quickly wired together.

"you're the god of music, right?" leo asked. "would you listen to a song called 'apollo smites two runty little demigods'? i wouldn't. but 'apollo defeats the earth mother and saves the freaking universe'.. that sounds like a billboard chart-topper!"

apollo gazed into the air, as if envisioning his name on a marquee. "what do you want exactly? and what do i get out of it?"

theo strung some wires against the mouth of the funnel, finetuning some details as leo continued.

"first thing i need: advice," leo said to the god. "i want to know if a plan of mine will work."

leo began to explain the plan he and theo had begun making. ever since jason came back from the sea, theo couldn't get one idea out of his idea. the way a primordial god had been defeated once before. they'd got the plan ready, but of course, leo wanted an opinion from a second god. just in case it all went to shit.

apollo nodded thoughtfully, "i will give you this advice for free. you might be able to defeat gaia in the way you describe, similar to the way ouranos was defeated eons ago. however, any mortal close by would be utterly..." apollo's voice faltered. "what is that you have made?"

theo closed his eyes, muttering one final incantation over the object, before holding it out to the god.

layers of copper wires, like multiple sets of guitar strings, crisscrossed inside the funnel. rows of striking pins were controlled by levers on the outside of the cone, which was fixed to a square metal base with a bunch of crank handles.

"this is a new invention of ours," theo told him. "the only one in existence. it's the most amazing musical instrument ever to be built."

theo remembered the old stories, of how easily apollo would be persuaded when he was handed music. he only hoped that this would do the trick.