𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒊𝒊𝒊.

𝐖𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐒𝐋𝐎𝐖𝐋𝐘.

annabeth did most of the talking, but even i could tell her heart wasn't into the tour.

we slowly made our way towards the oracle cave.

i could sense piper had some questions, so i turned to her, "wanna ask something? i know it's a lot to take in, but we've all been there once upon a time. if you need anything, we're here for you. that's the point of camp."

piper took a breath, "how do you — how are you sure that me and leo and jason — that we're demigods?"

i shrugged, "well for one, peleus would eat you if you were mere mortals. second, you could see the storm spirits through the mist."

"the what?"

"the mist," annabeth explained. "it's this magical veil thingy that prevents mortals from seeing monsters and losing their shit. the valley's protected from mortal eyes by the mist. each cabin represents a god or goddess and it's a place for their kids to live."

piper nodded slowly, "so, you're saying mom was a goddess."

i nodded, "you're taking this pretty calmly."

she shrugged, kicking the dirt, "i guess after this morning, stuff like this becomes easier to believe. so, who's my mom?"

"we don't know yet," i sighed. "the deal was that demigods were to be claimed at thirteen, so whoever your mom is better claim you pretty fucking soon."

"the deal?" piper questioned.

"it's a long story," annabeth told her. "but they promised to claim their demigod children by thirteen, not to ignore them, yadda yadda."

"why thirteen?"

"the older you get, the more monsters you attract," i told her. "thirteen is like, the peak age. that's why we get satyrs going around in schools."

"like coach hedge?"

annabeth nodded, "hedge is — was — a satyr. half-man, half-goat. he worked for the camp, finding demigods, protecting them, and when the time was right, bringing them to camp."