𝐥𝐱𝐱𝐱. apotheosis

Começar do início

Almost, Braeden. But not quite. Corrine spoke, the girl's hearts dropping with both relief that the woman hadn't shot Braeden, but that Braeden hadn't managed to shoot her either. Malia tightly gripped her sister's arm as they slowly approached the staircase, both tempted to bite the bullet and fight her face-to-face. You'll get another chance. But you better make sure it's a headshot. As Kinsey reached the top of the staircase, a floorboard creaked. Coming down, Kinsey? The Desert Wolf asked, somehow knowing that the noise belonged to her and not her daughter. Both of the girls quickly stopped, pressing their backs against the wall again. Braeden warned them both to stay where they were, and neither was going to ignore her.

Kinsey's hand reached for her chest as she began panting heavily, Malia looked at her with wide eyes, wondering what was going on with her. Was she having a panic attack? Did she somehow get shot through the ceiling? Corrine's footsteps stopped as she looked upwards, even she was curious to know what was going on with the girl upstairs, and then, before she knew it, Corrine was deafened by the wailing that shook the house. Crumbs of paint fell on her head and plates fell onto the floor, smashing as everyone dropped to their feet, covering their ears. 

"Lydia." her voice croaked as she held onto her neck, feeling as though something had pierced right through it. "Something's wrong with Lydia." she turned to Malia. 

"Come down, girls." Corrine taunted them. 

"Don't listen to her!" Braeden warned them again.

By then, the two of them were lingering at the top of the stairs. Something had happened to the Banshee, and the longer they stayed here, the less in the know they were. By now, anything may have happened. They knew more about Mason. Lydia was screaming, almost on the verge of her death. They had to kill Corrine and they had to do it now. 

"I'm not gonna stop, Malia." the woman told her in a whisper, but she knew they could hear her every word loud and clear. "I'm taking back what you stole from me."

"I didn't steal anything." the coyote talked back to her, finally retaliating. She had tears lining her soft brown eyes, her hand was clenched into her fist. She had taken things from her. Her mother. Her sister. Her ability to live a normal life. She had taken everything. 

"But you did," Corrine argued. "And I don't care if you were a willing participant or not." she said plainly. "Talia Hale spent nine months trying to convince me of the miracle of childbirth. Do you know what it really felt like? A parasite. Talia said it was a gift. A coyote passes down part of her power from her daughter. She called it beautiful." the woman recalled as the two sisters stepped slowly down the staircase as stealthily as possible. "I call it theft."

Another creak sounded as Kinsey took another step further, and that, was the beginning of what would be the end. Rapid gunfire started as Corrine and Braeden stepped out from their places, a series of bullets flying at each other's head, but none landing as they seamlessly dodged each of them. One after another, Braeden fired them, staying on the opposite side of the mountain ash as Corrine ran through the house to get away from her and her weapon. Kinsey and Malia hid in the hallway, unsure when to step out, or if it would ever be safe to.

They could hear the heavy breathing of Braeden outside, the wince of pain, and the smell of her blood. Corrine had caught her. The woman was on the other side of the wall. They could feel it. They could sense her lingering, how she would step out any minute thinking that she could get one over them and kill them in the blink of an eye.