𝒇𝒊𝒇𝒕𝒚 𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒆 , a promise to the dead

a promise to the dead

Rain crashed against the loft window as Derek Hale stared at it, laying wide awake with his latest beau, Braeden, in his arms. Unlike her, he wasn't soothed by the sound of rain, he couldn't sleep, his mind was focusing on all of the things in his life. The dead pool might be over now, but it had nothing to do with his future, one that was determined with or without that list. Those words he told Scott repeated in his head. Angels and Banshees don't predict danger, they predict death. It was coming for him, death was coming, he could feel it, he had nothing left. He had to fight with a gun rather than claws. Glowing eyes were a thing of the past. He hadn't felt strength in weeks, he was on the brink of death. 

When people die, they tend to look back on life, whether they regret the things they had done or how they could spend their final days so that when they took their final breath, they would feel a sense of accomplishment. That was most people. Ordinary people. Those who had never felt the way it felt to be a werewolf only to have it taken away from them. People that never killed others whether it was willingly or not. He didn't want to look back on life or think about the future that he could have had if death wasn't coming for him. In fact, out of all the things that he could have thought about in his final days, Derek Hale was most worried about a person. His cousin, Kinsey. He was worried about what would happen to her in his absence, he liked to think that in the past year he had been her main protector, an advisor of sorts, someone she had relied on, he guided her, and hell did she need guidance. Without him there he worried about what trouble she might get herself into, it was drawn to her, and she reveled in it. He worried that after all this time Peter might finally try to manipulate her, using her vulnerability after his death to do it. If not him, her mother. The two were both as bad as each other, it was hard to tell who would try to use Kinsey's kindness first. 

Perhaps that was what he would do with his final days. He would figure out a way to stop it from happening, maybe there was a chance he could convince her to leave Beacon Hills now, months ago, she had been hesitant, or downright refused, but that was before he died. Before her father put her name on a dead pool that had almost killed her many times. There were ways to do it, he was sure, especially if he could get Scott in on it too. 

Derek's thoughts were cut off by the sound of the intruder alarm blaring, waking up Braeden too as they both turned to the red flashing light, confirming that it was in fact the alarm going off, as it blinked, the two jumped out of bed, grabbing their firearms that they'd learned to sleep close to after recent weeks. The two separated slightly, scanning the loft, Braeden looked out of a rain-covered window, the balcony clear, Derek aimed toward his spiral staircase, also clear. Braeden turned toward the loft door where she saw two shadows move beneath the small crack beneath it door, alerting Derek as they both aimed their guns toward the door.

Braeden moved to the side of the door, prepared to shoot as Derek stood at the other side, he'd held onto the handle, prepared to swing it open, waiting for the signal of the mercenary before he made any rash movements. With a nod from Braeden, he opened the door, they raised their guns to the two shadows standing at their doorway, their eyes widening as they watched water drip from both girls. Derek lowered his gun from his cousin's bowed head. She and Lydia raised their heads together, looking the wolf straight in the eye as a piercing scream escaped them. It was here. Death, on his very own doorstep.