𝒔𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 , codominance

Start from the beginning

"No." He answered confidently, perhaps fake confidence, but one that managed to reassure her nonetheless. He pulled the girl into a hug, brushing his fingers through her hair as she rested on his chest, still holding back the tears. "Everything's going to be fine. He's not going to hurt you or anyone else." He told her. "Everything will be fine, I promise."

Her stare trailed back to her uncle as he looked up at her, providing a feigned smile. "Then why does it feel like I just signed a death sentence?"

·❥·

The two teenagers pulled up to the McCall house, a light outside illuminating the driveway while Stiles kept his head buried in the engine of his Jeep, presumably broken once again. Isaac rolled his eyes as he stepped out of the car, he had known that Stiles was accompanying them on their road trip to Mexico, but only when he saw him now had the reality hit, along with his displeasure toward the idea. There were a million people he would have rathered sit in a car with for hours, a list as long as the drive itself. Isaac walked straight past him, heading to see Scott and pack some belongings for the long drive that he had convinced Kinsey to join. Of course, she wasn't thrilled by the idea, who would be? Sitting in a car with two exes and a supposed friend who she wasn't sure actually wanted her here sounded like a disaster waiting to happen. 

Everything inside of her told her to stay behind, to continue helping Malia and Braeden look for The Desert Wolf as she had planned, but she couldn't, not with all the guilt she felt. From what Gerard had said, the last Chimera had something to do with her family, she had a responsibility to see it through. 

Kinsey stopped on her way into the house, lingering at the hood of the Jeep, watching Stiles try to figure out what was wrong with his car this time, pulling out pieces of the engine that he had no idea what they were used for. She leaned on the car, her arms folded. Broken again, huh? She asked, her voice startling him as he jumped out of his skin, hitting his head off of the hood with a loud groan of pain. Kinsey quickly apologized, but he shook it off, looking at her with wide eyes as if he had seen a ghost. 

"I didn't think you were coming." He said in a low mumble, turning back to his broken car as he continued picking it apart. "Scott said something about helping Malia." He added, lacking all of the details, whether it was because he didn't know them or they hit too close to home the girl wasn't sure. Perhaps Scott trusted him enough to tell him exactly what Malia intended to do and how Kinsey planned on helping, or maybe he was keeping Stiles at arm's length too.

"Neither did I," Kinsey answered honestly, a slight laughter to her tone as she anxiously fiddled with her fingers. She looked into the McCall home, watching Liam try to explain to his older half- brother and Scott what had happened to the Chimeras and Theo, and how Scott shut him down repeatedly, insisting that he already knew. "Turns out I have a thing for getting caught up in all of these things." Stiles chortled, claiming it as an understatement. "How's your dad?" Kinsey asked in a quick change of topic, hoping to make things less awkward.

Stiles stopped, pulling his head out of the Jeep, staring at the girl in silence, almost with shock. A long pause and the boy turned back to his car with a slightly contorted face, wondering if they'd had really gotten to this point, small talk and awkward pauses, unsure how to act normal in each other's presence anymore. He hadn't wished that for them, and neither had she. He hoped their break up would be friendly, something like the one she had with Isaac, wistful, understanding, and with a friendship remaining beneath it.

Before he could answer her question, Scott came storming out of the house with Isaac following closely behind with an uneasy look across his face, making it clear that the conversation hadn't gone well. Scott didn't explain what had happened as he grabbed the light, shining it closer into the engine for Stiles to see, hoping to fix the Jeep and leave as soon as possible.