16. A trip to Italy

JANIE★

A wave of shock skimmed through me.

Leave with him to Italy? What? Why?

He didn't inform me about this beforehand and he doesn't expect me to follow him wherever he goes.

I immediately shook my head and refused. “I don't want to go to Italy.”

From where I was, I could feel Luciano's heated gaze piercing my skin. It seemed as though he was studying me. Like he was trying to browse through me and I began to wonder what was going on in his head.

Tension.

That was the only thing swirling around in the atmosphere.

He hardened his jaw and his face revealed nothing but irritation as he said. “I don't remember asking for your opinion. I gave an order that you are coming with me and that's final.”

I shook my head again. “No, I won't come with —”

“You better stop whining like a child and do my bidding, Janie!” He bellowed angrily, pointing a finger at me to show he wasn't pleased.

Nevertheless, I didn't give a damn.

“And I don't want to do your bidding.” looking at him dead-straight in the eye, I said between gritted teeth. “Do. Your. Worst.”

Instantly, Luciano closed the door behind him and strutted towards me in a conceited gait.

My heart started to pound rapidly against my chest. Why did I dare him to do his worst?

Oh my goodness Janie, you shouldn't have. I scolded myself inwardly then bit down on my lower lip in fright of what he was about to do to me.

He stopped only when he was two feet from the bed. Damn, he looked so intimidating as he tower over me and I felt timid.

I immediately drifted my eyes away from his to my fingers.

If one could listen closely, the rhythm of my heart thumping fast could be heard.

“Did you just ask me to do my worst?" He questioned.

Not wanting to provoke him any further, I swallowed hard and remained quiet.

“All I have done so far is to act kind and nice to you. Something I am not so familiar with doing!" He said, blowing very hot this time.

Once again, I didn't dare to utter a word.

Luciano climbed on the bed with his knees, facing me squarely. “As far as I am trying to respect you, you ought to do the same for me!"

Oh crap!

I should not have dared him. That was a grief mistake on my part, I accept.

Straightaway, I felt my fingers trembling and my throat getting dry. My nerves felt queasy, however, that did not stop me from staring right into the eyes of the devil himself, to assert the same dominance he was trying to impose on me. Whereas all I wanted at this moment, was to find a dark corner, creep there and hide forever.

I had no idea that would trigger him. In a flash, Luciano forcefully grasped my chin and stared deep into my eyes, at first he seemed to relish them like he has found some treasure, but soon I could see the profound rage in his eyeballs.

“Need I remind you that— I am a mafia king. I don't take orders from people especially not from a tiny annoying human like you. So, do not test me!” His growl was filled with a clear warning.

And at that moment, all the emotions I had been struggling to wield inside, burst out at once.

I broke into a series of tiny sobs.