11. You're a monster!

JANIE

"What are your reasons, huh?" I fired back. "What are your fucking reasons?"

Hot tears poured down my cheeks as I glared at him. With my lips curled in disdain, I took a couple of steps backward.

"Look at me, Janie," Luciano said softly as he tried to touch me, but I pulled away.

"I don't want to look at you!" I bellowed angrily. "You are a monster!"

With a swift maneuver, Luciano grasped me and wrapped his good arm around my waist. My breath hitched at that impact then I started struggling with him to set me free. But the more I did, the more his grip tightened.

"Call me whatever you want, Janie. But I want to protect you. I want you to be under my wings where I can reach you." He moved to cup my chin, but I tilted my head sideways.

"Protect me?" I scoffed. "You of all people don't know how to protect anyone. Rather you would just kill, kill and kill!" I seethed angrily.

Luciano retracted his hand and sighed. "I promise not to ever hurt you, Janie."

"Too late. You already did." I informed him. Then without remorse, I pressed down on his injured arm. He released a loud grunt and set me free for a split second. So I took that as a cue to dart out of his room, straight into mine.

And, I closed the door shut behind me.

Leaning against the doorframe, I slowly slipped to the floor, breaking into a series of tiny sobs.

My heart clenched in pain.

If only there was something I could do to get the hell out of this place! My head was spinning out of its axis and my mind was running amok.

Why does this have to happen to me? How long do I have to keep living like this?

Various questions plagued my thoughts. Yet, there were no answers.

I clutched my throbbing chest, yet, it wasn't enough to numb the pain. I hate Luciano for this. He was the one responsible for ruining my life and my dream. Alas, I don't think I would ever forgive him.

He would forever remain my hell.

Just as I writhed in agony and hot tears poured down my cheeks, a soft knock erupted on my door.

"Go away!" I yelled at the top of my lungs. "I don't want to ever see you! If you want to kill me then do so without wasting time. Seeing your face alone is torture for me."

"Oh my goodness, Janie." Came a soft tone afterward.

Almost at once, I recognized it to be Mrs. Andrea. The urge to apologize and correct the notion that those brutal words weren't meant for her surged to the forefront of my brain. But then, I shoved it back down.

I owe no one an explanation! At this point, living no longer piqued my interest.

"Janie?" Mrs. Andrea called softly again. "You know you can share whatever is going on with me right? I am a mother too. No woman would see a child suffering and derive joy from it. Talk to me, girl. I promise to listen."

As soothing as her words sound, I declined the offer. "I don't want to speak to anyone. No one is meant to be trusted."

"Alright then, I just want you to know that when you're ready, I'm only a step away." She added. "Master Luciano asked me to bring something over for you to eat. Please do before it gets cold."