2. The betrayal

JANIE★

“Please talk to me, dad.” I pled with him. “Tell me what's going on.”

My dad took my hands in his and squeezed them softly. With a puzzled look, I searched his eyes for answers. This wasn't the reaction, I expected from him. Now that his wealthy and generous friend had been so nice to lend us the money, we should be smiling brightly. Not staring at each other with lots of sadness radiating from our eyes.

“Janie,” He held my gaze. “No matter what happens, I want you to know that I love you....” he trailed off, avoiding my gaze.

“I love you too, Dad,” I added quickly without letting him finish his statement.

He sighed. “This is for the best. For me, for both of us.”

Pressing my lips in a grim line, I replied; “Of course, that's why we came here to lend money from your friend. Isn't it? ” I asked.

He inhaled deeply and exhaled afterward. The moment I saw tears welling up in his eyes, I jolted to my feet. Dad has been the strong human I had ever met in my entire life. All through my nineteen years of existence, I can count the number of times I have seen my dad looking this depressed; with tears in his eyes.

The first was during the period of my mom's death. It was a very heartbreaking period for both of us and we both had gone through the trials and tribulations that accompanied her death, all the way to her burial. Then, I saw him cry when I got into an auto accident.

I think it happened six months after mommy died.

On that fateful day, I was in a haste to get to the market and help dad. I was also going to tell him I made A's all through my papers. But my joy was cut short when a reckless lorry driver collided with the bus I was in. All I noticed back then, was the shattering glasses of the bus piercing my face as it tumbled over.

Luckily for me, I sustained a minor injury on my left cheek, my elbow, and a concussion on my head. A lot of people died that day and how I managed to survive that accident, remained a miracle and a mystery to date.

Dad stood to his feet too and he was now facing me with his hands on my shoulders.

“You have to tell me what's wrong, dad,” I stated. “Or is it safe to say, these are happy tears? You know I don't like seeing you this way.”

He pulled me into an embrace again. “I'm sorry, Janie. I'm sorry. I did this before I realized it, I hope you can forgive me.”

He gently tore himself away from me and I stared at him with a frown plastered on my face. I was still fucking confused about this whole situation.

With one last glance at me, he picked up the briefcase and walked out of the door. Panic surged through my veins as I stared after his retreating figure.

Without a second thought, I ran after him but a strong hand latched around my waist, stopping me from taking any step further.

Turning my head slightly, I saw Dad's so-called friend holding me down. “Let me go! Let me go, I want to go with my dad, please.”

“I'm sorry, baby girl.” came his deep masculine voice against my ears. His warm breath fanned my neck and I  stomped my right foot in rage. “Your dad just sold you out.”