20. Behind Closed Door

LUCIANO

Since I have to visit Maria Beatrice's hospital in Florence today, I woke up earlier than usual.

Those darn birds kept chirping behind my window, signaling it was morning, and I had no choice but to get out of bed. Not that I was being zealous of burying my mother. Infact, my heart was clenching in fistfuls of anguish.

She was my precious jewel until death snatched her away from me. I tried so hard to make sure she survived. Wanting to see her smile at me one more time, but she never did.

Alongside my sister, Luciana.

Ramos Ashton's days are numbered on Earth. He should enjoy everything he has now, because the moment I set my eyes and hands on him, that would be the last time air would pass through his lungs. I'd make sure he beg me profusely to kill him. Still, I would. However, the only difference would be that—  his death would be painfully slow and bloody. Perhaps the most brutal murder I'd ever commit.

After taking a quick shower, I wore the Hugo Boss, three-piece black suit and black oxford shoes to match. Thereafter, I picked up my phone and dialed Glenn's number.

“Good morning, Boss." His drowsy voice rang out after one beep.

“You and Gerald should meet me at the lounge now.”

“Yes, Boss.” The line disconnected.

So I picked up my black shades from the bedside table, shoved my loaded pistol inside my coat, and strutted out of the room in a conceited gait.

As soon as I got to the lounge, Gerald and Glenn were already there, waiting for me. They looked tired and sleepy because I made them patrol throughout last night in fear of being attacked.

I have never been so fearful of attacks until now. And the main reason was because of her. Janie.

Sometimes, I wonder what would happen if she becomes my vulnerability. If I would have to fight until my blood dried out to save her. To me, I just hope that certain time would never come.  I don't need such kind of distraction at all.

“Good morning, Boss." Chorused Gerald and Glenn the moment they noticed my presence.

“Good morning." I acknowledged with a curt nod. “So as you both know, I'll be burying my mother today. Gerald, I need you to stay here, keep all the doors closed and provide anything Janie wants without making her step out of the front door. Just lay low until my return. Am I clear?"

Gerald bowed to me. “Yes, Boss.”

“Good," I mumbled then gestured to Glenn. “Follow me."

Glenn and I head towards the parking lot. Out of three cars, I decided we leave in the BMW 4 Cabriolet just so we could be fast in whatever business ahead and return on time.

“Boss, what about the SUV?" Glenn inquired as he eyes the car continuously.

“What about it?"

“I think it would be better because of the road." He suggested and I pressed my lips together, thinking of his idea.

“No." My response was plain after giving it a small thought. “We leave in the cabriolet and that's it."

"Sure, Boss." Glenn strode off to get the keys and he returned in a second.

Without a word, he pressed the button and the engine revved to life.

Just as I was about to slip into the car, a squeaky voice called my name from afar.