24: History

Few months ago, the male lead became a sticky duckling.

The way darling Kai followed me wherever I went— was just like a yellow duckling naively following his mother duck by the roadside until he fell by himself in the drain which he— always ended up with little tears in the end of his eyes; looking agrieved and.. cute.

Just last week, Kai transformed back to being a kitten; soft, fragile, stubborn and playful.

I sat quietly in the royal garden sipping my favorite tea and.. today, Du Kai became another baby animal, a koala; he was literally hanging on this grandmà!

Tian Ming glanced at the male lead, her face was dark as a pot. While half of Abao's face was twitching; she was cursing in her breath.

The male lead was hugging his favorite trunk– which is my neck; talking happily about his day while his chin was on my shoulder.

To outsiders, this scene was weird but surprisingly harmonious.

"Eunuch Chi was so scared and almost peed his pants!"

When I heard Kai's crisp laughter, the corner of my lips unknowingly lifted.

"Your Highness, His Majesty the Grand Empress Dowager Xie asked for your presence in Jingkan Hall?" One of the eunuch saluted.

Darling Kai immediately frowned. The hands that wrapped on my neck tightened a little bit before he unwillingly let go. He pursed his lips unconsciously, but he didn't speak.

I silently propped myself up. When I glanced to the male lead, I could see his cat ears drooping low, his eyes were on the ground.

I covered my forehead with one hand, then resigned to my fate: "I.. will bring you cake when I come back."

Du Kai looked up, startled. His eyes suddenly widen, somewhat a little dazed.

Seconds later, he switched back to his sunny appearance; looking happy like a big cat that has been rewarded with a fat fish.

This made me speechless. Surely, I felt that this villainess had been cheated.

I tucked his hair behind his ear. "Be good" Like a habit, slowly rubbing the tip of his long hair between my fingers.

His blinking ocean blue eyes and delicate face, always gave me the feeling of helplessness.

"Then, I shall wait for you, m-my beloved."

——

"I'm afraid. If Her Highness find out.."

"Find out what?"

"Y-your Highness!" After the initial shock, the maids immediately went into their knees.

In the original novel, Du Kai was chosen as the male lead only because of his stunning appearance. Thus, Kai remained a *salted fish (useless) until the very end of the novel.

This princess is not a dumbass villainess.

Since the incident of the assassination, like I said I became more vigilant against the male lead. Even with a weak body, those deadly skills.. I was deeply skeptical of this.

What I need is proof!

Collecting multiple attestations weren't easy. However, I wanted to be wise and protect myself against risk rather than be careless. Rather than mine, I can't gamble other people's lives.

Is he.. the real male lead? Is he a transmigrator? Perhaps, a reincarnator? I couldn't ignore this numbing feelings.

If he's like me, then.. things will become more complicated. The novel's plot might shift to some unforeseen circumstances.