26: Belong

The night was too dark. The heavy wind and rain fell outside the window.

"Your Royal Highness, you shouldn't be here. Imperial Physician Gu will nag again at this servant if he sees you standing outside in these weather."

Accompanied by the voices of the eunuchs reminding the Tāizì (*crown prince) to keep warm, the sound of footsteps outside didn't stop; still walking back and forth in front of the door.

"The Crown Princess forbid you to step insi–"

As a bolt of lightning struck the courtyard, someone cried out in fright.

The next second, the door suddenly opened.

I spent these years fattening the male lead up with Imperial Physician Gu's guidance, yet how come Du Kai still looks about fifteen even though he is already eighteen years old.

Under the Grand Empress Dowager Xie's care and interference, Du Kai looks very thin and much smaller than his peers.

'What kind of–?'

'Sickly beauty for the win!' Drenched in rain, thin clothes on his white skin, wet hair sticking on his pale cheeks; wow, look at the unfairness of this world.

If other people were in these kind of messy appearance, they surely look like an evil ghost instead; hello, sadako.

As if Du Kai was born to spit blood dramatically with pale lips, watery eyes and flowy robes. The shameless author clearly made Du Kai's character to suffer; giving readers a sadistic complex.

The sound of the rain crashing down outside was getting heavier and louder.

Then, there was another thunder. His body immediately froze.

The visitor directly threw himself into my arms as if he didn't care about anything else. His arms automatically encircled my small waist; his forehead on my shoulder.

Somehow, this situation felt familiar.

"I'm a-afraid."

Eh? Isn't these the classic scene where the female lead was afraid of the thunder and threw herself to the male lead's arm in comfort?

How come, suddenly Du Kai.. got the female lead role?

"Princess, c-can I stay?" It was a question but.. why it felt like he wasn't even asking?

When I woke up, there was no one beside me. The sun was out, the sky was clear. The ground was wet and the smell of rain lingered in the air.

Kai must've left at dawn to attend to his royal duty.

Du Kai is..

I turned my attention to the reports in hand; they have piled up alarmingly.

I spent the whole day with my mind wandering around. After the sun hid, surprisingly the weather was calm, the night was quiet in contrast of last night.

What if the the male lead doesn't play according to the script?

I heard that Kai was on his way to my courtyard again. I panicked, quickly put down the meat from my mouth then wiped my claws. Abao made sure to cover me with thick and large coat before we fled from my own courtyard.

Don't ask me why am I, the villainess, hiding from the male lead.

You people won't understand my painstaking effort to resist such beauty. When those bright eyes looked at me, scared and restless; it made me feel like I will do something npsw that I would regret in my two lifetimes. I don't want my mom, if we meet in heaven, to bring a stick while calling me an old cougar and my father would look at me with a dissapointed eyes.

Tian Ming was silently following behind us. Afraid that Kai might jumped at me again from somewhere, we passed the long corridors cautiously.

I paused.

Thanks to my 20/20 vision, from this distance, I saw a man and a woman standing in the corridor opposite.

The man was dressed in a black outfit and carried a long and expensive looking sword. His upper body was leaning towards the petite woman dressed in a humble servant clothes.

Lucky! It's the friendzone second male lead and the future Warrior Empress.

"Have you forgotten? I turned a blind eye when I caught you last time. Hao Ran, I'm telling you, you must stop now."

After six years, with his continuous exellent service and steadfast loyalty, and after successfully subdued a rebellion in Xifang county, the second male lead was promoted to general by the emperor himself.

"Hao Ran, are you even listening? You.." Jiao Zhen's eyes widened, as if realizing something. "You smell like.. are you drunk?!"

Oho! The general is drunk! Am I witnessing the classic drunk scene? Yo! Is there going to be a drunken kiss?!

The second male lead shook his head, stepped back and straightened his body.

"Hao Ran!" Jiao Zhen gritted her teeth in exhilaration.

The black masked second male lead was really out of it. He was leaning in the wall; sliding downwards, obviously, he was still in his own world.

"After I lose my entire family, I swear to the heavens that I'd dedicate the rest of my life for revenge against the Xie Clan."

"I only live now for revenge."

Jiao Zhen ignored Hao Ran's mumbling and tried to pull him up. "I don't care if you're drunk or you've gone crazy. But you can't be here. Leave now!"

Suddenly, the drunken boy laughed joyfully. The female lead was caught off guard when Hao Ran made a handsome move! He held Jiao Zhen's shoulder with his hand and pushed her to the wall.

What! What!

What is this?! Homaygad! Fan service!

"Yet I was eager to hear news about you everyday. What you wear, what you were reading today or what you were laughing about with your maids."

Oh la la~ What is this? Am I witnessing a love affair? A forbidden love? Oho!

"I always try to find your flaws so that I could convince myself, you're nothing but a vicious woman."

Damn boy! Way to go!

The second ship is sailing. Everyone, this is not a drill. I repeat, this is not a drill. The second ship sailing! Wohoo!

"But whenever I look in your eyes, they told me.. to kneel and beg for forgiveness."

"This made me angry. Mad even. How could I feel such thing? How could you make me feel such absurd things?"

"Who.. are you, Your Highness?"

Eh?

Eh, what?

"Why.. Why do I always feel that you belong to me? That you should've belong to me."

"Li Cha.."