| 31 | I Wrote This While Listening to Home from Undertale on Loop

Start from the beginning

"You should sleep."

"I know, but I'm not tired... Besides, my head hurts too much. I wouldn't be able to."

"Why does it hurt?"

"Lack of sleep, probably. Also, it's really bright in here."

"It's darker downstairs. We could go down there. I think Flap chased Scraps down there."

"Yeah, let's go," you said, but you didn't move. It was like your mind wouldn't let you despite nothing physically restricting you.

Hunter seemed to get the message and helped you up.

Once you got downstairs, you found that Scraps and Flapjack were down there. They were resting together on the couch. "You should lay down," Hunter said. "Here." He flattened the makeshift bed he had on the floor.

"Fine," you said, laying down. "You win... But I know this is just a scheme to get me to sleep."

"A scheme that'll work," Hunter replied.

"Doubt it," you said, rolling over onto your side to face him as he sat on the ground beside you as he held a book. "What's that?" you asked, nodding toward the book.

"Oh, this? Gus recommended it to me. It's really good. You should read it sometime."

"Why don't you read it to me instead?" you said without a second thought.

"Huh? Like, right now?"

"Sure. I probably won't remember it much, but it might help me sleep." You slid deeper under the blanket so that it covered your face up to your nose and closed your eyes.

It wasn't long before you were asleep.

/// /// ///

When you woke up, it was darker. You were just barely able to make out the silhouette of Hunter beside you. It looked like it was the middle of the night. You turned your head to see Gus was sleeping on the couch. I hope I didn't screw up my sleep schedule... You stood up and stretched a bit before cautiously stepping toward the stairs and climbing them as silently as possible.

I'll try to make tea again, I guess... you thought as you opened the cabinet, but something else caught your eye. You pulled the box down. "Hot chocolate?" You turned it over and read the instructions. It seems... simple enough.

When it was done, you sat at the table, watching the steam rise and waiting for it to cool. You were so focused on the way it'd swirl around before disappearing that you didn't hear the footsteps before he was already in the kitchen. "I was wondering where you went," Hunter said as he rubbed one of his eyes tiredly.

"I didn't wake you up, did I?" you asked, a bit worried.

"You did, but that's okay. What's that?"

"Oh, it's hot chocolate. It's similar to what we have in the demon realm, but this was way easier to make."

You handed him the box with the instructions. "Oh, yeah. That is way easier... I think."

"Do you want some?"

"Nah, not right now," he said as he pulled out the chair next to you and sat down. You took a sip of your hot chocolate slowly and cautiously, ensuring you wouldn't burn yourself. It was cool enough. You gazed up at the stars through the window for a moment before taking a larger sip. The house was quiet. The moon lit up the kitchen just enough and you had Hunter for company. I could get used to this, you thought before a feeling of guilt washed over you. But I can't. We need to get back home. You needed a distraction from your thoughts before you lost your mind.