| 29 | Shortass Mini Chapter

words: 901
date published: 5/17/2023

- not proof-read -

"Have you found anything yet?" Willow called over to you from down the hall of the old property next door.

"No, I haven't! You?" you responded.

"No!" Damn... You headed back toward the main room, Scraps following.

"It sucks we had to split up like this," you said as you let your eyes wander around the room.

"Yeah, but it's for the best. It would be easier if Flapjack wasn't being so weird... Then Hunter could actually help us."

"Yeah... Do you remember when they're supposed to get back from the library?"

"I think Luz said they'd be gone for a couple of hours still."

"Damn," you sighed, leaning against a wall. "We've searched this whole place top to bottom and haven't found anything... And we still have to search for another two hours?"

"I think it'd be okay if we went back now..."

"You sure?"

"Yeah," Willow said with a reassuring smile. "We've done all we can here. If it makes you feel better, though, we can do another quick sweep first."

/// /// ///

"Hey, Camila, have you seen Hunter?" you asked.

"I think he went downstairs with his little bird friend," she responded, motioning toward the stairs.

"Thank you!"

You made your way down the stairs quickly, grabbing one of the wooden pillars and swinging around it, landing on the couch. "We're back!"

"Hey, Y/N," Hunter said absentmindedly as he worked away at the sewing machine in the corner. You stood up and walked over to him as Scraps scampered off presumably to play with Flapjack.

"What are you doing?" you asked as you stood next to him while he worked.

"Camila showed me how to use this... I want to get good at it so I can make all the stuff I've come up with instead of just imagining it."

"Oh, cool! What's that you're working on now?"

"It's almost done... I can show you then."

"Yeah!"

/// /// ///

"Luz gave me permission to use this! And she let me make my own character in this game called Animal Junction!" Willow gushed excitedly.

"Oooh, can I see?" you responded, leaning over her shoulder. "What do you do in it?"

"Well, you play as a human and you're sort of in charge of this island and making sure all of its animal residents are satisfied... but I've just been making gardens and catching fish mostly."

"Oh, nice! Is that one of the residents?" you asked as a blueish-greenish character walked by.

"Yeah, her name is Lily!"

"Go talk to her!" you suggested, shaking Willow's shoulder excitedly.

"Okay! Hang on."

/// /// ///

"It's done!" Hunter exclaimed, causing you to immediately jump off the couch and run up to him.

"Show me! Show me!"

He turned the shirt around, showing that he had added two wolves to it.

"It looks so good!" you gushed. "I'm so proud of you for how far you've come with this..."

"What are those?" Gus asked, referring to the shirt he was holding.

"These are mystical beasts called wolves, and... I love them," he said, whispering the last part.

He's so cute...

/// /// ///

"What's the plan for tomorrow?" Gus asked Luz.

"I... Don't know. I need to figure out where else we can search," Luz admitted. "I'm out of ideas."

"What if instead of continuing the search, we do something a little different," Willow suggested.

"But we need to stay productive!" Luz argued.

"But it would be productive," Willow said and you realized she had an idea already.

"What are you thinking about?" you prompted.

"The place next door would be a good meeting place, don't you think?"

"Do you think we should clean it up a bit?" you said, asking for clarification.

"Yeah, exactly!"

"You know, it could be fun," Gus said and you nodded your agreement.

"Yeah... that'd be fine," Luz agreed.

Amity yawned, causing a sort of chain reaction. "Well, I'd say it's time for bed," Vee giggled.

"Yeah, I'm beat... Goodnight, guys," Gus said before heading downstairs.

"Goodnight!" Willow said. "Come on, guys." She motioned for you, Amity, Luz, and Vee to follow. You took a step forward, but someone grabbed your wrist, preventing you from going.

"Hunter, what's wrong?"

"I... haven't been able to sleep. I-I know Belos is gone now... but it almost seemed... too good to be true," he confessed. "Whenever I finally lay down and close my eyes, I can't shake the feeling that it isn't over... Like he's still out there, just waiting for the right moment to attack. I-I mean, I know it has to be gone. I saw the splatter he became, too, but..."

"No, I know," you said as you placed a hand on his shoulder. "It makes sense... He put us all through a lot, but you dealt with more than anyone. It's only natural for you to still worry like this..." It's not like I've been resting very well, either... You thought back to the few days Belos had you held captive, but pushed the thought away, opting to help Hunter instead. "What do you need?"

"I... well... I slept really well our f-first night," he stuttered. You thought back to a few nights ago, finally understanding what he was asking.

"I can stay with you until you fall asleep," you replied.

"Really?"

"Yeah, of course," you said. "Do you want to stay up here again?"

Hunter nodded and you grabbed the blanket from beside the couch, tossing it to him. "I'm gonna go brush my teeth," you said. "I'll be right back."

When you returned, Hunter was already laying down. You sat on the floor and leaned against the couch silently and gaze up at the dark ceiling. Even after death, Belos still has this grip on us. How long will that man be able to haunt us? 

When planning this out I had a lot of ideas for their time in the human realm, but I've realized most wouldn't work so I have to scrap them. If you guys could give me simple ideas for the human realm, that'd be super cool! I have a few plans, like a potential beach/lake episode and other things from the scrapbook, but I wanna hear from you guys, too ^^