033

Lo'ak

Lo'ak

I stand in the corner of the marui, leaning against a pillar with my arms crossed over my chest, watching as the Tsahìk and Se'aeylwa converse. They sit on the ground as they talk, the woman circling Se'aeylwa as she pokes and prods her, looking for the miracle that enabled her to feel her legs once more. 

Every time the girl yelps or rubs a sore area the woman pokes I have to resist the urge to rip the Tsahìk off of her, but I knew better than be on the bad side of both the females in the Olo'ekytan's family. 

Ronal swiftly flicks Se'aeylwa's curls out of her way as she examines her back, slightly hesitating as she sees the same streaks of white that where on the Atanzaw. She hums before running a hand over the skin that was permanently stained with the lightning like mark. 

"He has chosen you as his rider" She says to Se'aeylwa, who cutely tilts her head in confusion. 

"We haven't had a Atanzaw Makto in many years, the last who was able to conquer the marine predator was the Olo'ekytan's great grandfather's father. He lead the clan to victory amongst the invading ash people. It is legend that he wielded the seas, and when the ash people had been defeated, he flooded the island to ensure they would never return" She tells the tale interestingly, and I could see the curious spark in Se'aeylwa's eyes. 

"It is said that the Atanzaw wields the power of a thousand storms, and the only na'vi that can contain it's fury and rage is the na'vi that rides it. Be careful, that is all we can ask of you" She finishes, getting up slowly while cradling her swollen stomach. 

She leaves to attend to the clan's people as I stride towards the girl still on the floor. I hold my arm out as she reaches towards me. I instantly calm feeling her touch as I use my strength to pull her upwards. I accidentally pull too harshly as she lands in my chest. She rubs her nose in irritation at the impact, shaking it off before looking up at me and smiling.

All the talk about animals had given me an idea as I held her by the waist, lifting some of her weight to make the transition from sitting all day to walking easier on her. Se'aeylwa's knees still trembled if she walked or stood for too long, so I didn't want to stress her too much. 

As soon as we walk out of the marui we head towards my parents, they would be overjoyed that her healing had been quicker than expected. I smiled the entire way, especially when we both reached the entrance. 

We both walked in as the room went silent. At first I thought it was because Se'aeylwa was standing, but as I looked a little closer I could see their attention was solely on her bicep that donned an armband. My parents both tensed, along with everyone else, only relaxing when they realised the thinness of the band. 

They both reverted to nostalgic smiles as they whispered to one another before laughing quietly. Kiri stepped forward, looking over Se'aeylwa for any injuries, a habit she had developed learning under our grandmother.

"We're all happy that your healing" She says, smiling as she walks away to revert back to weaving a basket. I leave her for a short moment as I reach into a bowl, tucking a headpiece in a small satchel along my hip as I quickly jog back to Se'aeylwa, walking out quickly as a shrieking voice stops us. Tuk had come back from playing with her friends as she rushed to the girl next to me. 

"Se'aeylwa!" She screams, all of our ears pin to our necks as the volume irritates us beyond measure. She falters slightly as Tuk comes crashing down onto her legs, and I'm right behind her, holding her up as much as I can while my little sister disrupts us leaving. She grapples onto Se'aeylwa's hand, trying to rip her away from me as my brows scrunch in annoyance and frustration. 

"C'mon Se'aeylwa, I had so much planned for when you came back!" She yells excitedly, jumping up and down like an excited bunny. 

"No Tuk, we have something planned" I tell her. Her face scrunches the same as mine as she lets go, crossing her arms. And as all eight year old's do she's riling up for a temper tantrum. 

"But that's not fair! You're always with her! I never get to see her anymore!" She shrieks, stomping her foot on the ground. Our mother immediately rushes forwards trying to calm her but it makes her scream even louder.

"She's my girlfriend Tuk, of course I'm always with her!" I retaliate, my mother gives me a look that I don't pay attention to as she yells back. 

"I don't want her to be your girlfriend! I want her to be my best friend and we can't be if she never see's me skxqwng!" 

I now realise we mentioned an English word that Se'aeylwa had no clue about as she worriedly glanced between the two of us. I barely noticed our mother scolding Tuk and demanding to know where she learnt that word from as I pulled Se'aeylwa out of the home with me. 

"She's so annoying" I grumble, only just loud enough so that the girl next to me can hear. She giggles adorably at my words as I look at her questioningly. 

"You two are the same person" She laughs out. I stay silent for a moment before breaking out into a soft smile. I couldn't be seriously mad when I was with Se'aeylwa. 

I lead her into the jungle portion of the island as she looks around curiously. I don't think she's ever been here as she touches her hand along the bark of a tree. Making a disgusted face as she recoils quickly, holding it to her chest as she wipes off the remanence on her upper thigh.

I laugh boyishly in my head, not wanted to embarrass her as I climb onto the root of a tree. She looks at me questioningly before I pull her up. I set her feet on mine so she doesn't have to touch the bark as I walk us along a strong tree branch. The sound of chirps and squawking is familiar as a teenage ikran flies down in front of us. 

Se'aeylwa stares in awe as I cover her eyes. Her hands immediately reach up to my wrist, trying to pull it down. 

"Don't look at him in the eyes" I warn. She nods her head in understanding as I slowly let my hand fall from her eyes. I felt her eyelashes slightly run over my palms, my ikran making all sorts of loud greeting sounds. 

I lead the girl with me to the creature as I place her palm on the skin of the ikran, much like she did with me and Bud. My hand covers hers, holding it against the creature. 

"He feels mighty..." She says slowly, looking up at the colouring on his neck.

"That's because I'm the na'vi who rides him" I laugh, her head snaps at breakneck speed as her eyes widen cutely. 

"You ride these things!" She exclaims excitedly, her mouth opens in shock as I chuckle, nodding.

"They are called Ikran, it's part of the rite of passage of the Omatikaya people. They bond with their riders for life and are one of the first tasks completed to become a fully fledged adult" I explain, she intensively listens as I take out my riders mask, reaching above her head and placing it on her. 

It immediately falls halfway down her face, the piece of equipment obviously being too large. She adorably tries to keep it above her eyes with her hand, but it doesn't do much as it falls back down.

I reach behind her, tightening certain areas as I adjust it to fit her head. She was inexperienced and would need it a lot more than me. 

I smiled at her enthusiasm, she could barely sit still, wanting to get back to the ikran. Once finished she left me instantly, going back to stroking the yellows and blues of my ikran, Mawn'tey. 

I easily slide onto the saddle, reaching a hand out as she nervously puts her smaller hand in mine. I lift her easily, seating her in front of me as I hold the saddle in front of her. I form tsaheylu as Mawn'tey squawks, soon opening his wings and readying himself for flight. He jumps off of the branch, and that was when I heard Se'aeylwa scream.