019

Se'aeylwa 

Se'aeylwa 

All that I could dream about was the constant sting at the back of my neck, the snap of my spinal cord, and the feeling of nothingness.

I woke up in a cold sweat, my upper half bolting up as Lo'ak stirred next to me, his entire body curled around one of my hands. He groaned in dismay in his sleep as I slowly uncurled his hand from mine. He curled around his own limb to replicate mine as he tucked into a ball. 

I curiously looked around the room, seeing the others all cuddled up across from us, while one or two of the children where sprawled around the marui. I found the small amount of energy to chuckle as Tuk's body twisted in what looked like severely uncomfortable positions.

I thought it would be nice to maybe prepare the family breakfast, to thank them for letting me stay in their home.

It took a lot more energy than I was willing to admit, but I lifted myself up, forcing my palms to dig into the floor below me as I dragged myself towards the fire in the middle of the area. 

I sighed, taking a moment to myself as I reached a hand down and moved my legs into a a crossed position. I took a second to stare down at the now useless limbs as I felt tears well back into my eyes. I quickly wipe my dry under-eyes as I don't allow myself to cry about it anymore, I had to except it, I would be like this for the rest of my life. I couldn't spend my entire life sulking about something that couldn't change. 

My hard work is slightly ruined as I realise the herbs and fish where on the other side of the marui. I take a few deep breaths, preparing myself to practically drag my body across the floor. I do so ungracefully, nearly knocking over an important looking bow as I make sure to stay clear of it. 

My hand barely skims the food as I huff a piece of hair out of my face, the curls floating before deflating and landing exactly where it was before, still irritating me as I begin a feud with a singular strand of hair. 

My hand reaches to tuck it behind my ear as I loose my balance and fall to the ground, my shoulder bashing against the floor, I silently scream as it sends shockwaves through my body, my mouth gaping open and yet no sound comes out as I try not to awake the sleeping family.

I slowly drag my torso off of the ground as I finally reach a few portions of food, I take enough for the family, I didn't exactly have an appetite myself. 

I drag myself back, my tail flopping uselessly on the floor as I huff, feeling little beads of sweat forming at the base of my hairline. I was still weak and tired, doing such a simple task exerted a bit more energy than I would've originally thought. 

I move once again sitting up completely and forced a cross legged seating position by using my hands to manoeuvre my heavy legs.

I place a sheet of material over the fire as I gently set down each individual piece of fish, I took an estimated guess on which one each family member would like, but I could never be to sure. Next to the fire where plates and bowls as I neatly assembled six plates in a line. 

Steam rose as a delicious smell wafted into the air. I heard the pop of bones and joints after a long day of work as I listen to them intently. 

"What's that smell?"

"Is Neteyam cooking again?"

"Mmm that smells yummy!" Tuk exclaimed, suddenly ridding her being of any sort of tiredness as she sat down next to me, eagerly waiting for her food. I flipped all the pieces, making sure they where cooked evenly on both sides as I waited a little more. The little girl bounced next to me in excitement as I placed the fish that was the sweetest onto her plate. She immediately dug in, eating the piece of food as if she'd been starved for days. As she continued to scarf down her food a tired looking Neteyam and Kiri sat next to her. I handed them their plates with the appropriate portion and type of fish as they slowly began to eat.

"This tastes good..." Kiri mumbles, starting to take bigger bites as her brother hums in agreement.

Soon the entire family had woken up, Lo'ak of course being the last as he tiredly plopped down next to me. I noticed him once I had served his parents, and quickly gave him his breakfast as well. 

"You didn't have to do all this" Neytiri says, trying to make me feel like I don't owe her anything. 

"No, no, no, it was nice to cook for other people for once" I bashfully respond, my cheeks flushing a shade of pink. She nods at me before continuing to eat. 

An elbow lightly nudges my side as I turn to Lo'ak. 

"Where's your food?" He asks, looking around me for any evidence of a seventh serving. 

"I wasn't hungry" I shrug. He doesn't take it as a good answer as he breaks a piece off of his fish and shoves it into my mouth, I muffle a surprised scream as I already begin chewing, I give him a harsh look as he shrugs, replicating what I had just done as an 'excuse'. The entire room is peaceful, the warm glow from the fire brightening the morning sun as they all eat in calmness.

"Se'aeylwa-" Jake interrupts, only for our attention to be turned to a woman screaming outside.

"Where is she?!"

"Where's that brat!?" She hollers. Kiri raises a brow in confusion, as she looks at me, and I look at her. 

An angry woman bursts into the calm aura of the marui, disrupting every ounce of peace as she breathes heavily and stares pointedly at me.

It was my mother.