006

Lo'ak

Lo'ak

My arms slowly swayed back and forth as my legs kicked wildly, trying to keep my head above water. I was still in a trance like state at her words.

How could she be mad? It was my sister who had seized, she probably saw the whole thing.

So why was she so enraged?

I rolled my eyes at the thought of the girl, taking a few deep breaths before my head sunk below the surface. The back of my throat constricted as I made the call for an Ilu. I clapped my hands underwater, hoping they could pick up the vibrations as two swam towards me. I ran a hand along one of their skins as I pulled my braid over my shoulder and formed tsaheylu. My body slightly trembled as I felt the creature below me.

My pupils widened while I began to ride the water mount through the sea. It didn't take long to reach the shore as I jumped off, letting sand coat my wet feet. I scrunched my face in disgust at the feeling of the sand grating against my skin. I internally gagged at the feeling as I quickly ushered to reach my family marui. Everyone was fast asleep in one another's arms, everybody except Kiri.

She laid in the middle of the home, a cloth on her forehead as she tossed and turned in discomfort. I swiftly made my way to my sister and took the cloth off of her head, it's warmth was uncomfortable against my hand as I wrung out the fabric. I dipped the piece of material into a bowl of fresh water next to her, once again placing the cloth against her forehead.

Her tossing had momentarily stopped as I sighed in relief. She had scared all of us today. Her body had shook back and forth as her eyes rolled behind her head. The twitching had stopped as we pulled her out of the water, instead being replaced by a motionless body.

I let out a shaky breath at the thought, tucking a stray hair out of her face with my fingers. I pressed the back of my hand to the cloth, feeling it's warmth once again as I took it off of her once more, wrung the fabric until it was barren of moisture, and dipped it in a fresh bowl of water before placing it back on her forehead.

I stayed up all night, repeating the gesture every few minutes, making sure Kiri stayed as comfortable as she could. I sat beside her cross legged all the while the people around us began to awake at the light of the morning sun.

"Lo'ak?" I heard my mother question as she groggily sat up, taking Tuk with her. I gave her a hum, knowing I had heard her as she slightly bent down and pulled Tuk off of her torso and onto Neteyam's. She stood fully, stretching out her limbs until she heard the satisfying pop of her joints.

"What are you doing up this early?"

"I'm taking care of Kiri" I murmur as I squeeze the cloth, watching as water fell into the empty bowl I had stationed beside me. The piece of fabric was taken from my hands as my Mother sat next to me.

"Tending to your sister is not your burden to bare" She whispers, finishing the job for me before placing the cloth behind Kiri's neck. Which I had now realised needed a lot more attention than her face.

"I had time to spare" I yawn, slightly rocking forward before I catch myself and shake my thoughts of tiredness.

"You must sleep Lo'ak. It isn't healthy to stay up late, or to never sleep at all " My mother softly reprimands, placing a pure na'vi hand on my shoulder, before reassuringly rubbing a slow pattern onto my bicep.

Her movements only made me feel more tired as I lent into her touch. I eventually leant my head on her shoulder as I rubbed my eyes harshly, trying to keep them open.

Just as my eyes where about to flutter closed the sound of a mighty horn blew. I jumped out of my seat, my entire body full of shock as I landed harshly on my backside.

The rest had seemingly woken up as well as they all stood quickly. The only one taking the time to wake up being Tuk. Her small hands went to rub her eyes, as she looked around nervously soon after.

Kiri had woken up as well, groaning and clutching the side of her head as she sat. Mother tended to her quickly as I slowly put one foot in front of the other to reach the dock. My eyes scanned the area as Tsireya sat upon an Ilu waving and shouting while gliding through the homes.

"Everybody our brother's and sisters have returned!" She smiled. My breathing stopped as I soon saw the scene around me come to life. Metkayina adults and children burst into the water as tulkun dived and swam towards us. The entire clan had gotten excited, even the children screaming with glee.

My heart races with joy as I see Tsireya beckon me over. I sloppily dive in the water as I swim towards her Ilu, I sit behind her as she begins to move us, we move fast as she points to a tulkun in the distance. I can't help but feel slightly disheartened as I realise Payakan hadn't made an appearance, but that's the last thing on my mind when beautiful beasts surround us.

The creature comes to a stop once we face a tulkun that must be Tsireya's. She swims down, taking the time to enjoy herself with her spirit sister as I tread water. My face meets the cold water below me as I look down upon their interaction. She rests her forehead on the tulkun's before quickly separating and signing, her hands move smoothly in the water as she bashfully looks at her sister.

'I met a boy'