2

CHAPTER  2

BETHEL UNIVERSITY
INSIDE SIR JOSEPH'S HALL
10:35 PM

A quote by Henri Nouwen 'The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing... not healing, not curing... that is a friend who cares.'

* * * * *

"Jessy, what's wrong?" He asked her, soon he heard her sniff and he knew definitely that she had been crying, "why are you crying?" He inquired, frowning in the process. But yet she still cried over the phone.

"Can I meet with you?" And he knew that he was a goner.

"Of course, no problem, where do you want us to meet?" He asked, worriedly.

"Anywhere... Okay, how about in front of my hostel?" She inquired.

"Anywhere is fine by me. Okay, I'm coming out now." Then he hung up the call and picked up his shirt that he flung on his bedside.

"Where are you going?" Richard asked him, "or is it to go meet her?" He teased.

"Yes, I'm going to meet her. Are you jealous or something?" Bryan asked arching an eyebrow in the process.

"Me, jealous, of what? Never!" Richard replied.

"Then, shut up!" Bryan wore his t-shirt and rushed out of his four man's room.

"Hey man! Where are you going?" Pelumi, another of his roommate asked.

"Outside, I'll come back soon, don't lock the room for me Incase I come back a bit late." He pleaded.

"No probs man, no probs, besides Ebuka still dey outside. I no fit lock am." Pelumi replied in a pidgin language. [No probs man, no probs, besides Ebuka is still outside. I cannot lock it.]

"Thanks, man." Bryan appreciated and then found his way down the stairs since his room was on the second floor. He rushed out of his hostel and made his way towards Lady Rachel's hall which was Jessy's hall.

* *

BETHEL UNIVERSITY
NEAR LADY RACHEL'S HALL

It wasn't too far as he saw her also coming out of her hostel. He was about to call her name when one of his coursemates called his attention.

"Hey." He responded wryly, not really interested in her. He knew he was also popular, but right now he didn't need that popularity, all he just want to do is to meet with Jessy.

"Where are you off to in a hurry?" His course mate, Tomi asked in her very tiny voice, her right hand reaching out to touch his shoulder and he dodged it.

"Tomi, I can't talk now. As you said, I'm in a hurry." He retorted and ran towards Jessy who had been looking at him since she came.

"Hey!" He beckoned as he almost reached her. He was surprised as Jessy just ran to hug him.

"Bryan..." She called his name as she stained his t-shirt with her tears, which he didn't mind.

"Jessy, what's wrong?" He inquired as he patted her back.

"Jayden..." She muttered groggily.

"Jayden? What did that bastard do to you?" He asked callously.

"He... He broke up with me." She replied and he immediately calmed down. He was relieved. A quiet contentment spread through him.

"Why?" He implored. She raised her head and he saw that her eyes were swollen. He cleaned her tears and then asked again, "why?" This time he frowned as he asked, noticing she was really heartbroken.