Best Friends 💙

plot: JJ & Y/n are the best of friends, but will their personal crushes get in the way of their friendship?

word count: 3323

warning(s): slight swearing, angst to fluff, unedited, slightly rushed work, shitty ending...

a/n: a short filler chapter while im working on another taylor swift song-themed chapter 😅

JJ Maybank and Y/n. Every time someone hears these two names, they think of the couple that is the most chaotic whenever together. The amount of times you'd find Y/n laughing in the middle of the streets clutching her stomach while JJ is beside her with a sly grin tugged on his face is almost 10/10.

However, as much as they had fun, they were definitely not dating. It would've been safe to assume that they were, but a couple of best friends were all they were. Nothing more or nothing less.

Y/n Y/l/n was one of the kook queens on the island of Kildare, alongside Sarah Cameron. The two blonde girls ruled Kildare Island as if they were the actual royals living here. JJ Maybank on the other hand, did not have such a good reputation about him. He was well-known for being one of the wildest and rowdiest, you could never expect anything good that comes out from his mouth or actions, but his intentions were always good. Or so you can say.

Despite all that difference, Y/n and JJ had met when they were just 3 years old. And as Y/n liked to call it, the feelings just 'clicked'. Ever since their first playdate at the beach, they have been close as ever and fast forwarded to a mere 14 years later, here they are, 17 years old and sitting by the beach, watching the sunset.

It was practically a tradition by then. Y/n and JJ both agreed to deem the beach as their spot, a place where they could only come alone or with each other because how significant it was to them, and Y/n would be lying if she didn't admit that the place had a special spot in her heart.

With friendship comes jealousy, and even though Y/n didn't admit to all the rumours and speculation of her secretly being in love with JJ, she knew it at the bottom of her heart that they were right. All along, whenever JJ had brought a new girl with him to the Chateau, Y/n would feel queasy and uncomfortable the whole time, not being able to be her normal self. She felt that his attention was taken away from her by whichever blonde it was that time, and it didn't make her feel happy at all.

The first time they've gotten into a fight was exactly because of this reason, back when JJ had first gotten with his ex-girlfriend 2 years ago. Amelia, one of the girls on the kook side of the island, was her name. According to JJ, they had met when he was bartending. This was back when they were 15, and even Sarah knew all along about Y/n's crush on JJ.

"You didn't have to scare her like that Y/n" JJ sighed, slowly wiggling against the couch uncomfortably.

"What do you mean? I was being nice" She huffed, frowning at his accusation. She clearly wasn't being nice, but she didn't expect for him to call her out on it.

"No, you were not! This is my girlfriend Y/n, not some random chick. You questioned her as if you were training to be a police officer!" JJ exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air.

"That's not fair for you to say J, I'm just caring about you! I know it's your first relationship, I'm just helping you make sure you're not getting played. You should be appreciative of that!" Y/n scoffed, shaking her head in disapproval.

"I know what I'm doing Y/n, you don't have to be overprotective of me" He shook his head before standing up, walking towards the door.

"Fine! Walk out that door and I'll make sure I never care about whatever you do in the future. Hell, you can rot in the bin and I wouldn't give no fucks!" Y/n spat as JJ spun around, a visible look of shock plastered on his face.