four.

Five years later

My training years were long and painful. Some people can go to the final selection exam only one year after they start their training, for me, it took almost six.

When Hayate-sensei started to teach me, I was only eight. We started with the basic knowledge, about the system of the demon slayer corps, about the demons and breathing styles. All the knowledge I needed. This part was really easy for me, I memorized everything fast.

The difficult part was the physical training. Two years of my training were only building strength and stamina. I ran miles every day and did other trainings before I could even hold a katana in my hands.

I moved in fully to Hayate's house which was too small for us, so we had to build an extra room. He even adopted me. At some point I went back to my old home. I picked up a few things, I was hoping to find something about my father, but the only thing I found was a picture of him and my mother. I memorized his features then decided to leave the picture there.

The only thing I brought with me was a haori a customer didn't want after it was made. As for the other things... they burned down with the house that I set on fire myself.

I felt like my childehood home was infected with the horrors that demon caused. Burning the place down was part of my healing process.

I had nightmares for a long time. Waking up in cold sweat almost every night. As time passed, the frequency of these nightmares lowered. I barely have them now.

When I was ten, I started learning how to wield a katana and started practicing breathing techniques. The latter was even more difficult than all those strength and stamina trainings.

"I am using Wind Style Breathing." Hayate-sensei explained. "I will try to teach you that, but it is possible that you will develop your own technique. But only if you are even capable to learn a breathing style"

I nodded and with that, the last part of my training started. The next three years were though. I barely had rest days, as I practiced every single day. But even if it looked easy the way Hayate-sensei showed me, I had a hard time concentrating.

During these years, Hayate-sensei went on missions again, as he thought I was strong enough to protect myself already, and he thought I received every guidance I needed, the rest was up to me.

I was thirteen already, almost six years passed since my life changed. I was out in the forest, surrounded by the calming noise of nature. A gentle breeze caressed my cheeks, as my focus was fully on my breathing.

Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale.

I tried to concentrate fully, syncing my breath with the soft wind blowing all around me.

It was the same routine every day. The same practice. Trying to learn wind style breathing, adding the movement of my katana, but no success.

Honestly, I started to give up. I opened my eyes and let out a frustrated sigh. The wind was playing with my black and white hair, I was staring at the skin of my arms. I was chewing my lips as frustration grew bigger and bigger in me.

I slowly zoned out as I was watching the shadows of leaves dancing on my skin.

All my focus shifted to the shadows, it felt like they were melting into my cells, I noticed my breathing slowing down, to the point where I could almost feel every drop of air slowly entering my lungs.

My body felt lighter, but at the same time, a lot stronger.

My hands were reaching for the katana on the ground, wrapping my hands around it. My mind entered to a state I couldn't read, but I knew that something different happened, a breakthrough even.

It felt like I was melting together with my katana, a new power emerged from me.

I slashed my weapon in the air, and it clashed with an another sword producing a strong metal sound.

I snapped out of my weird state, my eyes found Hayate's glance.

"Whatever you did here, master it" he said, putting his sword away. "Once you reach that, you can take part in the Final selection exam"

——
Shoort chapteeer sorry

But he will finally appear in the next one