twenty-seven.

I woke up to the sun warmly caressing my face. I opened my eyes, staring at the ceiling of a room.

I blinked a few times, my brain hadn't woken up yet, I was confused why I was in a room and struggled to remember what happened before that.

I sat up and hissed in pain immediately. I grabbed my side, feeling bandages under my clothes. And as I moved my legs, I felt a stinging pain in my ankle.

Oh, yes, I broke it.

Then it hit me. My fight with the demon who wore my father's face. I looked around in the room once again, now I felt a sense of familiarity about my surroundings.

It was the butterfly mansion. I was sure of it.

The memories slowly flew into my brain, remembering the details of the fight. I won. I felt nothing about this victory. I just noted the fact, that I won that fight. I suffered injuries, but nothing that can't heal.

I sighed, noticing a glass of water on the bedside table. I grabbed it and slowly drank it, just realizing how thirsty I was, my throat painfully dry.

Once I put the glass down, I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in" I answered hoarsely. The door opened, revealing a smiling Kyojuro. My face immediately lit up by seeing him.

"Hey" I greeted him.

He walked to me, kissing my forehead gently. "How are you, darling?" he asked, my cheek heated up by the sweet nickname.

"My injuries hurt a bit, but I am fine" I answered. "What happened after I defeated him?"

He sat down on my bed, holding my right hand in his warm palms. I loved how big his hands were compared to mine, his soft touch giving me comfort.

"You collapsed" he said. "You ran out of adrenaline. I managed to bring you back really fast. I handled in the report in your name too, if it is fine"

"Yeah, thanks" I nodded. "How much I slept?"

"Only a few hours, we arrived back at sunrise. It is a bit past noon now"

"Yeah it makes sense" I yawned. Suddenly my eyelids felt really heavy.

Kyojuro stood up, leaning to me. "I will leave you to rest" he smiled, kissing my lips softly. "Recover soon, okay?"

I nodded, but my eyes were already closed and soon I fell into a deep slumber.

———-
My injuries healed a lot faster than I thought, but I didn't mind. I hated being useless, and wanted to return to my duty as soon as possible.

But it bothered me that I got injured very often. When I didn't have recovery training, I spent time on replaying the last battle in my head, trying to remember as many details as I could, with the purpose of finding the fault in my movements and strategies, finding where I could improve.

"Hello, darling" I heard Kyojuro's greeting during one of these brainstorm sessions.

"Hi" I stood up to greet him, melting into his embrace. He gave a small kiss on the top of my head.

"How's your recovery?" he asked, just like every day.

"Looks like my waist is completely healed" I smiled. "And I can finally stand on my feet, but it is not quite right yet" I sighed.

"Give it time" he smiled and ran his thumb through my face. "How about I take you out for dinner tonight? I miss spending time with you"

I nodded with a grin. "I miss it too"

——-
It was nothing fancy, I know it. But even though it was a date, I had no fitting clothes for the occasion with me. I wanted to wear a pretty kimono, but well, all I had was my uniform and my usual haori. I knew Kyojuro wouldn't mind, as he would wear his uniform too, but still. Sometimes I wished we were a normal couple. Going on normal dates. Living a normal life.

But then, we wouldn't be able to protect ourselves. I had a normal childhood, until a demon ruined it. At least, now I can fight.

And maybe one day... One day we can be a normal couple. One day...

No. I sighed. I can't live in false hope. We love each other. And that's enough.

I was waiting for Kyojuro outside the mansion, and soon he appeared, greeting me with a small kiss and offering me his elbow, which I gladly accepted.

"What do you want to eat?" he asked.

"I don't know why, but since I woke up, I'm craving udon" I chuckled.

"I know a place" he grinned.

He led me into a small restaurant in an alleyway, it was probably a family business. The place was indeed really small, but the atmosphere was pleasant. We ordered, and once the food arrived, we dug in.

I took a bite, just like Kyojuro, my eyes widened once I tasted the delicious noodles.

"UMAI!" we exclaimed both at the same time, and I let out a laugh. But oh my, that food...

"This is the most delicious udon I have ever tasted!" I said as I continued to devour the delicious meal.

"I'm glad you like it" he grinned. "This is one of my favorite places. You can taste on the food that it was made with love and devotion"

"Yeah, I agree" I nodded as I took the last bite. "We can come here more often"

He just smiled happily, also finishing his food.

After he paid, we decided to take a stroll in town.

The night was pleasant, the sky was clear, billions of stars visible above us.

"Kagemi..." he started, a bit of hesitation in his voice.

"Yes?" I questioned with curiosity.

"So... You know, I have a good friend amongst the Hashira. I mean, there's more than one, but there is someone you haven't met"

"That's natural, I only met you and Shinobu. Oh, and I heard a rumor that Mitsuri might become one too. But that's everyone"

"Yes, so... I want to introduce you to this friend of mine. I mean, it was technically his idea, but I also want you to get along with my friends"

"Sure" I smiled. "When?"

"Tomorrow?"

"It is fine by me" I shrugged. "May I have his name?"

"Oh, yes, I almost forgot. His name is Uzui Tengen"