32.

ISABELLE

"Amelia Mendez and Isabelle Johnson. May you both come to the principal's office."

A voice speaks through the intercom.

"With your belongings." It adds.

Belongings? Does that mean we're both getting suspended? My heart sinks. I can't afford that.

"Ohhh. Someone is in trouble." A guy whispers from behind as I shove my books into my bag and get up.

I walk out of the classroom quietly and rush to Mrs Kumar's office.

Once I'm standing in front of the office door, I wipe my sweaty palms on the fabric of my school pants. I pull off my hood and take a deep breath.

I knock gently.

"Come in."

I push open the door and step inside. Mrs Kumar is the first one I see.

She is seated behind her table with eyes full of disappointment. Her hair is pulled back into a low bun and she is dressed in a navy blue pant suit.

Amelia is already here. She is seated to my right beside someone who I assume is her father. Her arms are crossed over her large chest as she looks straight ahead.

Nick is seated to my left, playing with his keys. He shifts them from one hand to another quietly.

"You may sit." Mrs Kumar tells me.

I do so.

"Ms Johnson." She looks at me. "Ms Mendez." She shifts her strong, intimidating gaze to Amelia. "I spoke to your parents about what happened. I brought in a few witnesses-"

"Witnesses?" Amelia interjects. "Who?"

"That is not to be mentioned." Mrs Kumar answers before continuing. "We also watched the footage from the hallway and although both of you came in here this morning and insisted that it was an acciden-"

"It was an accident." Amelia screeches. "She bumped into me, Mrs Kumar!"

I lower my head when the adults turn to me.

My leg bounces as I wring my fingers. "Yes." I answer, avoiding Nick's gaze. "I bumped into her."

"Isabelle?" Nick doesn't seem to believe me. In fact, it seems that my confession shocked him.

I think back to the last time I lied and took the blame for someone else.

"You know that I tend to walk with my eyes glued to the floor. I didn't see her coming." I continue.

"See? It was her fault!" Amelia accuses, pointing her finger at me. "She's to blame!"

Mrs Kumar shakes her head and sighs subtly.

"I'm afraid we still have to suspend you Ms. Mendez."

"What?!" Amelia asks. "Why?"

"I do not know what you did to get her to lie to us today, but like I said, there is evidence that you did it on purpose."

"I-" Amelia shuts up to think for a second. She lowers her head, finally choosing to be quiet.