23. (Part 1)

"You what?!" James questions, closing the door behind him as he walks in.

I press my lips firmly into a straight line while I try to think of a way to make him understand.

Oh, who am I kidding? This is James. He never understands when boys are involved.

"Isn't he the one who left?" James interrogates, emphasizing the word 'he'.

"Yes, bu-"

"So now he just wants to walk back into your life as if nothing happened? And you're just supposed to clap your hands and let him back in?!"

He raises his voice slightly and I tuck my bottom lip into my mouth to keep myself from speaking. I won't ignore the fact that he is right, but I don't appreciate his tone as of right now.

Janet's eyes narrow just a little before she places her hand on his right shoulder.

"James." She whispers something into his ear. He looks away then curses under his breath.

"Isa."

I shake my head when he steps towards me. "It's fine." I tell him, stepping back.

"I didn't mean to-."

"It's okay." I say, stepping back again.

He watches me and even though I keep my eyes focused on the carpet beneath me, I know he feels kinda bad. It's the way he sighs and his change of tone. The slight hesitation lets me know that he is thinking hard about what to say next.

"Isa. I apologise for yelling. All I'm saying is: Be careful. I don't want to see you hurt because of him again."

"I know and I appreciate you wanting to look out for me. All I'm asking is that you don't make me feel stupid for still wanting him in my life. He left. I'm aware of that, but he came back, didn't he? Doesn't that count for something?"

"I guess, but-"

"No buts." I raise my hand. "Please. All I'm asking is that you support me, not judge me."

He looks at me for a while and Janet waves her arms from behind him. She taps her forefinger against her wrist, letting me know that we're running out of time.

I love how she's way more excited about Trevor wanting to hang out with me, so we can catch up than me.

"Alright."

I avert my eyes back to James.

"But only because you seem sure." He says.

I nod. "I am. And anyways. It's not like I'm planning to fall back in love with him."

His eyes flicker between mine to make sure I'm telling the truth. He nods when he's satisfied.

"Alright." He repeats. "I wish you the best then." He turns around and starts walking towards the door, but he stops halfway. He turns his head slightly. "He better not hurt you again." He warns before walking out.

He won't. I want to say, but even I don't believe that. He did it once. What would stop him from doing it again?

The door closes and Janet clasps her hands to get my attention. I turn to her as she turns to the closet, her black curls swaying behind her.

"It's thirty minutes past six." She says. "He'll be here in forty-five. We need to hurry."

She tosses me a few items of clothing and I groan, sitting down to get a proper look at the clothes.

"Can't I pick out my own outfit?"

She looks over at me and chuckles dryly. "Oh, no sweetie, I'm not letting you do that. You're going to walk out of here in something bummy in the name of comfort."

DAMAGEDजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें